N0. 25 RUTGERS (16-4, 6-1 EIWA) Vs. AT THE EIWA CHAMPIONSHIPS
Friday, March 8
Session I - 11 A.M. • Session II - 5:30 P.M.
Saturday, March 9
Session III - 10 A.M. • Finals - 3 P.M.
• The No. 25 Rutgers wrestling team (16-4, 6-1 EIWA) begins its postseason by hosting the 109th EIWA Championships at the RAC on Friday, March 8 and Saturday, March 9.
• Three Scarlet Knights placed at last year’s EIWA Championships: 165-Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), Second; 174-Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), Third; 184-Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.), Fourth. Winston won the 165 pound championship at the 2011 EIWA Tournament.
• Against Drexel (Feb. 15), head coach Scott Goodale notched his 100th career win. He holds a 100-33-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• Rutgers holds the No. 25 spot in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Division I Coaches Poll.
• Eight Scarlet Knights were ranked in the final NCAA RPI rankings and the final NCAA Coaches’ rankings on Feb. 28.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature four individuals in the national rankings: 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.), and HWT Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.).
• Rinaldi has 104 career wins, good for a tie for seventh on the program’s all-time list.
• Smith leads RU with 17 dual wins. Dellefave and Rinaldi follow with 16 each.
• Dellefave and Smith earned EIWA Wrestler of the Week honors on Feb. 11 after each notching a victory over a ranked Bloomsburg opponent on Friday, Feb. 8.
• Dellefave has won 10-consecutive bouts of his last 11 bouts, dating back to a win on Jan. 6 against ASU.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors, Mason Winston and Rinaldi, who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career.
Rutgers and the EIWA Championships
• Rutgers first participated in the EIWA Championships in 1950 and has wrestled at the event 56 times since that initial contest. This season’s EIWA tournament is the 109th edition and marks the first time Rutgers has played host.
• RU has crowned 11 EIWA individual champions in its history, with the most recent title being won in 2011 by Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.) at 165 pounds.
• As a team, the Scarlet Knights have placed in the top four at the EIWA meet four times (1952, 1961, 2004, 2011). The team’s top finish is third place, which it did in 1952 and 2011.
• Last season, head coach Scott Goodale’s squad had five placewinners, all in the top-four, led by a second place finish by Winston at 165 pounds. Three Rutgers grapplers return after placing last season.
Rutgers Placewinners - 108th EIWA Championships - Princeton, N.J. (March 3-4, 2012)
141 pounds: Third place match: Stephen Dutton (Lehigh) dec. Billy Ashnault (RU), 7-3
165 pounds: Finals: Brandon Hatchett (Lehigh) dec. Scott Winston (RU), 4-2 (SV)
174 pounds: Third place match: Greg Zannetti (RU) dec. Nathaniel Brown (Lehigh), Forf.
197 pounds: Third place match: Joseph Kennedy (Lehigh) dec. Dan Rinaldi (RU), 9-3
HWT: Seventh place match: Daniel Hopkins (RU) dec. Daniel Mills (Army), 3-1
Bold denotes current RU squad member
Scouting the EIWA
• The tradition-rich Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association has accounted for 87 NCAA individual champions in its history. Two returning wrestlers claimed top national honors in 2012: Kyle Dake (Cornell, 157) and Steve Bosak (Cornell, 184). Last season, 13 wrestlers from the EIWA earned All-America honors.
• Cornell and Rutgers are the only two EIWA teams ranked in the most recent USA/NWCA/AWN Division I Coaches Poll (Feb. 26). The Big Red came in tied for No. 9, while the Scarlet Knights rank No. 25. Lehigh and Navy both received votes.
• Dake is the top-ranked individual (Amateur Wrestling News, Feb. 26) at 165 pounds in the nation.
• In total, 15 EIWA wrestlers reside in the top 10 of their respective weight classes:
• Wt. Rank Name (School, Yr.)
125 5 Nahshon Garrett (Cornell, Fr.)
141 8 C.J. Cobb (Penn, So.)
9 Mike Nevinger (Cornell, Jr.)
149 5 Steve Santos (Columbia, Sr.)
157 3 Joey Napoli (Lehigh, Jr.)
165 1 Kyle Dake (Cornell, Sr.)
184 3 Robert Hamlin (Lehigh, Sr.)
4 Steve Bosak (Cornell, Sr.)
10 Dan Rinaldi (Rutgers, Sr.)
197 8 Micah Burak (Penn, Sr.)
• On Feb. 28, the NCAA announced the qualifier allocations for the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, held inside Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, March 21-23. The EIWA received 45 qualifier spots. The total is good for second-best in the nation behind the Big Ten Conference’s 74 spots.
• The number of EIWA wrestlers that will receive automatic bids per weight class:
125 133 141 149 157 165 174 184 197 HWT
4 2 7 4 5 5 4 5 5 4
Rutgers in the NCAA RPI/Coaches’ Rankings (Feb. 28)
125 25/21 Joseph Langel
133 21/22 Vincent Dellefave
141 29/24 Trevor Melde
157 22/25 Scott Winston
165 22/32 Nick Visicaro
174 14/15 Greg Zannetti
184 13/10 Dan Rinaldi
HWT 19/20 Billy Smith
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.