RUTGERS (13-2, 6-0 EIWA) at WVU (1-5, 0-2 Big 12); at Navy (2-1, 0-1 EIWA)
Dual No. 16: at West Virginia (1-5, 0-2 Big 12)
Friday, Jan. 25 • 8 p.m. ET
Morgantown, W. Va. • WVU Coliseum
Dual No. 17: at Navy (2-1, 0-1 EIWA)
Saturday, Jan. 26 • 7:30 p.m. ET
Annapolis, Md. • Wesley Brown Field House
• The Rutgers wrestling team (13-2, 6-0 EIWA) is back in action on the road, taking on West Virginia in Morgantown, W. Va., on Friday, Jan. 25 at 8 p.m. before heading to Annapolis, Md., to face Navy in an EIWA matchup on Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m.
• The Scarlet Knights are coming off a 3-0 conference weekend, downing Lehigh for the first time since 1950 on Jan. 18 (17-16), and picking up wins over Harvard (26-9) and Brown (31-12) on Jan. 20.
• In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale holds an outstanding 97-31-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature four individuals in the national rankings: 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.).
• Rinaldi notched his 100th career win against Harvard, just the 12th wrestler to hit the mark in program history. Winston is one win shy of the 100-win court.
• HWT Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) leads RU with 13 dual wins. 125-pounder Joe Langel (Howell, N.J.), 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), Zannetti and Rinaldi follow with 12.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Rutgers and the West Virginia Mountaineers
• The Rutgers wrestling team is 1-2 all-time against the Mountaineers, including a 1-1 record under Goodale.
• The two squads first met on Jan. 24, 1981, resulting in a 23-21 loss for the Scarlet Knights. Rutgers fell to West Virginia, 21-19, on Jan. 29 at home last season. The Scarlet Knights’ win came on Nov. 11, 2010, beating the Mountaineers 25-14.
Rutgers and the Navy Midshipmen
• The Scarlet Knights are 6-20 all-time against Navy, but hold a 4-1 record under Goodale.
• In a series that began in 1950, Rutgers won the last meeting between the two teams, downing Navy 20-19 on Jan. 22, 2012. The Scarlet Knights have won four-straight matchups against the Midshipmen.
Scouting West Virginia and Navy
• The Scarlet Knights’ first opponent, West Virginia, holds a 1-5 record, including an 0-2 mark in the Big 12. The Mountaineers’ first win came in its season opener against Johns Hopkins (43-0) on Nov. 4, 2012.
• Navy is 2-1 overall and 0-1 in EIWA competition. The Midshipmen’s lone defeat came in the form of a 19-15 loss to Lehigh on Jan. 12. Rutgers downed the Mountain Hawks, a member of the EIWA, 17-16 on Jan. 18.
• West Virginia features one ranked grappler in junior 141-pounder Nathan Pennesi, who comes in at No. 12 in the latest AWN poll. Navy has three wrestlers ranked in the most recent AWN poll: senior 157-pounder Bobby Barnhisel (14th), freshman 174-pounder Matthew Miller (14th) and senior 184-pounder Mason Bailey (20th). Miller is ranked in all three major wrestling polls at 174 pounds.
Rutgers Downs Lehigh for First Time Since 1950
• For the first time since 1950, the Rutgers wrestling team downed Lehigh in a thrilling 17-16 victory in the RAC on Jan. 18. Down 16-14 heading into the heavyweight bout, freshman Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) notched a crucial decision to give the Scarlet Knights the win over the Mountain Hawks, who were ranked No. 14 in the most recent InterMat rankings.
• The victory for was the first for Rutgers (11-2, 4-0 EIWA) over Lehigh since the squad picked up a 16-11 decision over the Mountain Hawks on Feb. 22, 1950 and the second win against Lehigh in the program’s history. Lehigh (5-5, 2-3 EIWA) had won the previous 38 matchups in the series. It also marked the first time Goodale beat the Mountain Hawks in his career.
Scarlet Knights Beat Harvard, Brown on the Road
• In two conference matchups, the Rutgers wrestling team downed Harvard (26-9) in Cambridge, Mass., and Brown (31-12) in Providence, R.I., on Jan. 20. Under the direction of Goodale, the Scarlet Knights won 15 of the 20 contested bouts.
• The highlight of the day was senior 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.), ranked No. 11, picking up his 100th career victory, earning an 18-5 major decision over Harvard’s Josh Popple. Rinaldi became just the 12th grappler in RU history to reach that milestone.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.