RUTGERS (10-1, 2-0 EIWA) VS. IOWA STATE (1-3, 0-1 BIG 12)
Dual No. 12: Iowa State (1-3, 0-1 Big 12)
Friday, Jan. 11 • 7 p.m. ET
Piscataway, N.J. • The RAC
Video: RVision, presented by AT&T, with Danny Breslauer and Sean DeDeyn on the call via www.ScarletKnights.com
• The Rutgers wrestling team (10-1, 2-0 EIWA) returns home to host Iowa State in the RAC on Friday, Jan. 11 at 7 p.m.
• The Scarlet Knights are coming off three wins on their West Coast trek, downing CSU Bakersfield (29-9), Arizona State (21-12) and Stanford (33-3).
• In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale holds an outstanding 94-30-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature four individuals in the national rankings: 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.).
• Two RU seniors are closing in on 100 career wins as Rinaldi sits at 98 and Winston holds 97.
• Rinaldi and HWT Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) have each recorded 10 dual wins this season to just one loss.
• Zannetti returns to the 174-pound starting spot after leading the squad in wins with a 31-6 overall record in 2011-12.• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Rutgers and the Iowa State Cyclones
• Rutgers holds an 0-1-1 record against Iowa State in program history. The two schools last collided on Jan. 11, 1963 when the Cylcones picked up an 18-8 victory over the Scarlet Knights.
Scouting the Cyclones
• Iowa State brings a 1-3 record (0-1 Big 12) into the dual with Rutgers. The Cyclones three losses have come to ranked opponents: No. 4 Iowa, No. 14 Oklahoma and No. 25 Old Dominion. The squad’s lone win came against North Dakota State.
• Individually, Iowa State has three wrestlers ranked in the AWN Top 20. Sophomore 197-pounder Kyven Gadson leads the Cyclones, sporting a No. 12 ranking with a 12-2 record. Junior Boaz Beard is 4-3, but sits No. 17 at 184 pounds. Lastly, sophomore 165-pounder Mike Moreno holds the No. 20 spot in his weight class. The squad has three others who are ranked in other polls.
Rutgers Goes 3-0 on West Coast Trip against CSUB, ASU and STAN
• The Rutgers wrestling squad used a strong start to down CSU Bakersfield, 29-9, in Bakersfield, Calif. The Scarlet Knights picked up victories in their first five bouts to jump out to a 17-0 lead and wouldn’t look back. Rutgers won eight of 10 bouts against the Roadrunners, including wins for bonus points by seniors Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.) and Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), as well as junior Dan Seidenberg (Red Bank, N.J.). Senior Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) notched a win over a ranked opponent.
• On the final day of its West Coast trip, the Rutgers wrestling team picked up victories over Pac-12 opponents Arizona State (21-12) and Stanford (33-3) at the Stanford Duals in Palo Alto, Calif., Sunday. Rutgers improved to 10-1 with the help of senior 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.), ranked No. 13 in the nation, who picked up two wins by bonus points. RU won 15 of the 20 contested matches.
• Five other Scarlet Knights reeled in 2-0 records on the day, including junior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), senior 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), senior 149-pounder Mario Mason (Moorestown, N.J.), senior 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.) and sophomore 165-pounder Nick Visicaro (Long Branch, N.J.).
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.