RUTGERS (4-0) at The 2012 Nittany Lion Open
2012 Nittany Lion Open
Sunday, Dec. 2 • All Day
First Session - 8:30 a.m.
University Park, Pa. • Rec Hall
• The Rutgers wrestling team (4-0) heads to the 2012 Nittany Lion Open to continue its 2012-13 season. Tournament action begins at 8:30 a.m. in Rec Hall in University Park, Pa. According to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, more than 500 wrestlers from more than 30 teams are expected to compete in the all-day event.
• RU added three dual victories to its résumé at the 2012 Journeymen/ASICS Northeast Duals in Troy, N.Y., defeating Columbia (30-6), Binghamton (30-9) and Army (26-15).
• In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale holds an outstanding 88-29-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature five individuals in the national rankings: 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.) and heavyweight Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.).
• Zannetti returns to the 174-pound starting spot after leading the squad in wins with a 31-6 overall record in 2011-12.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Scarlet Knights Sweep Northeast Duals, 3-0
• The Rutgers wrestling team turned in a perfect effort at the Journeymen/ASICS Northeast Duals, beating Columbia (30-6), Binghamton (30-9) and Army (26-15) inside the Edward F. McDonough Sports Complex on Nov. 24. The victories improved the Scarlet Knights, led by sixth-year head coach Scott Goodale, to 4-0 to start the 2012-13 season.
• Seven Scarlet Knights posted 3-0 records in the dual wins against Columbia, Binghamton and Army. Senior 125-pounder Joseph Langel (Howell, N.J.), junior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), senior 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), senior 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), senior 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), senior 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.) and redshirt freshman heavyweight Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) won all three of their matches. Additionally, sophomore 165-pounder Nick Visicaro (Long Branch, N.J.) went 2-0.
• The Scarlet Knights took 23 of the 29 contested matches from their opponents on the day. Rutgers forfeited the final 149-pound match of the day to Army.
Rutgers Wrestling Rolls in Home Opener vs. Clarion, 26-6
• The Rutgers wrestling team turned away Clarion by a score of 26-6 to start the 2012-13 dual season in College Ave. Gym on Nov. 11, winning eight of the 10 contested matches.
• Seniors Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) and Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) led the way with bonus points, both notching major decisions at 149 pounds and 174 pounds, respectively. Sixth-year head coach Scott Goodale’s squad, for the fifth-straight season, started its campaign with a dual victory.
• Melde shut out Golden Eagle Sam Sherlock for an 11-0 major decision, while Zannetti cruised to a 10-1 major decision over Ryan Darch of Clarion.
Rutgers Hosting EIWA Championships for First Time in Program History
• The Scarlet Knights’ postseason march will begin at home. Rutgers plays host to the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships for the first time in program history from March 8-9 at the RAC. The 14-team event traditionally features some of the top wrestlers in the nation. Last season, 13 wrestlers from the conference earned NCAA All-America honors.
• Season ticket orders can be made online at ScarletKnights.com or by calling the ticket office at 1-866-445-GORU (4678).
RU Crowns Three Champions at Hokie Open
• The Rutgers wrestling team saw three first-place individual finishes to begin the 2012-13 season at the Hokie Open on Nov. 4, with all three crowns earned by senior Scarlet Knights. Top honors were captured by 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.).
• Senior 149-pounder Mario Mason (Moorestown, N.J.) placed fourth, recording a 5-2 mark in the tournament. Junior 197-pounder Dan Seidenberg (Red Bank, N.J.) also placed fourth, notching a 3-2 record.
• Redshirt freshman heavyweight Billy Smith (High Point, N.J.) placed fifth after a 5-2 showing that included three pins. Senior Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) earned a sixth-place finish at 141 pounds.