RUTGERS (1-0) at The 2012 Journeymen/ASICS Northeast Duals
Dual No. 1: vs. Columbia (0-0) - 11:25 a.m.
Dual No. 2: vs. Binghamton (0-2) - 1:40 p.m.
Dual No. 3: vs. Army (0-0) - 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 24 • All Day
Troy, N.Y. • Edward F. McDonough Sports Complex
• The Rutgers wrestling team continues its 2012-13 dual schedule at the 2012 Journeymen/ASICS Northeast Duals at the Edward F. McDonough Sports Complex in Troy, N.Y. The Scarlet Knights posted a 2-1 record in the 2011 edition of the event. RU notched wins over North Carolina (33-9) and Purdue (28-15) before narrowly dropping a dual to Central Michigan (16-15).
• In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale returns seven dual starters and six NCAA qualifiers. Goodale holds an outstanding 85-29-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• RU opened the dual season on Nov. 11 with a 26-6 win vs. Columbia at College Ave. Gym.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature four individuals in the national rankings: 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.) and heavyweight Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.).
• Zannetti returns to the 174-pound starting spot after leading the squad in wins with a 31-6 overall record in 2011-12.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Rutgers and the Columbia Lions
• Rutgers owns more all-time dual victories over Columbia (33) than all but one school (Princeton, 37). The Scarlet Knights have tamed the Lions twice in two meetings under head coach Scott Goodale, both occurring at dual tournaments.
• A Goodale-led RU squad first took down Columbia by a score of 19-15 on Nov. 23, 2008 at the Sprawl & Brawl in Binghamton, N.Y. Two seasons later, the Scarlet Knights took a 29-9 result on Nov. 27, 2010 at the Northeast Duals.
Last time: No. 24 Rutgers 29, Columbia 9 - Nov. 27, 2010
Current Rutgers wrestlers in bold
125: Matt Fusco (RU) dec. Penn Gottfried (CU), 6-2
133: Kyle Gilchrist (CU) dec. Mike DeMarco (RU), 3-1
141: Jordan Beverly (RU) dec. Josh Houldsworth (CU), 4-1
149: Steve Santos (CU) pins No. 11 Mario Mason (RU), 6:55
157: Daryl Cocozzo (RU) maj. dec. Jake O’Hara (CU), 11-0
165: No. 8 Scott Winston (RU) maj. Dec. Eren Civan (CU), 10-2
174: Alex Caruso (RU) dec. Stephen West (CU), 2-1
184: Dan Rinaldi (RU) dec. Nicholas Mills (CU), 2-1
197: Mike Wagner (RU) dec. Mike Pushpack (CU), 9-3
HWT: No. 5 DJ Russo (RU) pins Kevin Lester (CU), 2:57
Rutgers and the Binghamton Bearcats
• Rutgers will face Binghamton for the first time in program history at the Northeast Duals.
Rutgers and the Army Black Knights
• Rutgers has been bested in the all-time series against Army, holding a 13-29-1 record against the Black Knights. However, Goodale has gotten the better of Army during his six-year tenure, holding a 4-1 record.
• RU controlled Army in last season’s “Knight-only” matchup, winning 27-10 on Jan. 8, 2012.
Last time: No. 16 Rutgers 27, Army 10 - Jan. 8, 2012
Current Rutgers wrestlers in bold
125: Vincent Dellefave (RU) maj. dec. Scott Filbert (Army), 12-4
133: Michael DeMarco (RU) dec. Jordan Thome (Army), 9-7 (SV)
141: Billy Ashnault (RU) pinned Connor Hanafee (Army), 6:04
149: Ryan Bilye (Army) dec. Luke Rigoglioso (RU), 6-2
157: Jimmy Rafferty (Army) dec. Dave Seidenberg (RU), 7-1
165: Cole Gracey (Army) maj. dec. Doug Hamann (RU), 12-3
174: No. 16 Greg Zannetti (RU) maj. dec. Ryan Tompkins (Army), 11-2
184: Dan Seidenberg (RU) maj. dec. Michael Gorman (Army), 10-2
197: Daniel Rinaldi (RU) dec. Derek Stanley (Army), 9-3
HWT: Daniel Hopkins (RU) dec. Stephen Snyder (Army), 4-2
Scouting the Northeast Duals competition
• RU’s first opponent, Columbia, has yet to compete in a dual in the 2012-13 season. The Lions have three ranked wrestlers in No. 10/15/11 Steve Santos at 149 pounds, No. 11/13/17 Jake O’Hara at 157 pounds and No. 13/18/19 Steven West at 174 pounds.
• Columbia has participated in two tournaments thus far, placing five wrestlers at the Michigan State Open on Nov. 11 and notching a second-place team finish at the New York State Championships on Nov. 17.
• Binghamton features three ranked wrestlers on its roster, including two top 10 grapplers. Donnie Vinson (1/4/4) at 149 pounds returns to BU’s lineup after taking third place at 149 pounds at last season’s NCAA Championships. Vinson fought back to third after losing in the opening round, winning seven-straight consolation matches.
• The Bearcats also bring No. 7/7/11 Nate Schiedel at 197 pounds and 141-pounder Joe Bonaldi (-/-/15) to the action.
• Binghamton will take on the field sporting a 0-2 record after dropping road duals to Lehigh (23-16) on Nov. 8 add Cornell (30-7) on Nov. 16.
• Army, an EIWA opponent, enters the Northeast Duals with three individuals receiving national billing. No. 18/20/19 Daniel Young fills the 149-pound slot, while Jordan Thome (-/-/18) and Coleman Gracey (19/14/-) wrestle at 141 pounds and 174 pounds, respectively.
• The Black Knights’ first duals of the season will come at the event. Army has previously competed in the Buffalo Invitational (Nov. 4), Oklahoma-Gold Classic (Nov. 10) and New York State Championships (Nov. 17).
Rankings (-/-/-): AWN (11/20) / Intermat (11/20) / W.I.N. (11/19)
Rutgers Wrestling Rolls in Home Opener vs. Clarion, 26-6
• The Rutgers wrestling team turned away Clarion by a score of 26-6 to start the 2012-13 dual season in College Ave. Gym on Nov. 11, winning eight of the 10 contested matches.
• Seniors Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) and Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) led the way with bonus points, both notching major decisions at 149 pounds and 174 pounds, respectively. Sixth-year head coach Scott Goodale’s squad, for the fifth-straight season, started its campaign with a dual victory.
• Melde shut out Golden Eagle Sam Sherlock for an 11-0 major decision, while Zannetti cruised to a 10-1 major decision over Ryan Darch of Clarion.
Rutgers Hosting EIWA Championships for First Time in Program History
• The Scarlet Knights’ postseason march will begin at home. Rutgers plays host to the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships for the first time in program history from March 8-9 at the RAC. The 14-team event traditionally features some of the top wrestlers in the nation. Last season, 13 wrestlers from the conference earned NCAA All-America honors.
• Season ticket orders can be made online at ScarletKnights.com or by calling the ticket office at 1-866-445-GORU (4678).