Rutgers (0-0, 0-0 EIWA) vs. Clarion (0-0, 0-0 EWL)
Dual No. 1: Rutgers vs. Clarion
Sunday, Nov. 11 • 1 p.m.
New Brunswick, N.J. • College Ave. Gym
Live Media: Video (RVision) and results available a www.ScarletKnights.com
• The Rutgers wrestling team begin the dual portion of its 2012-13 schedule at home in College Ave. Gym against Clarion on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 1 p.m. In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale returns seven dual starters and six NCAA qualifiers. Live streaming video and results will be available at ScarletKnights.com. Video available from RVision, presented by AT&T.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature four individuals in the national rankings: 149-pounder Mario Mason (Moorestown, N.J.), 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.).
• RU opened the 2012-13 season at the Hokie Open and claimed three individual titles, more than any other participating program. Winston, Zannetti and Rinaldi took top honors at 157 pounds, 174 pounds and 184 pounds, respectively.
• Zannetti returns to the 174-pound starting spot after leading the squad in wins with a 31-6 overall record in 2011-12.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Rutgers Begins the 2012-13 Season
• Seven dual starters return for head coach Scott Goodale’s 2012-13 squad, with six NCAA qualifiers returning to bolster the squad’s postseason experience. RU’s lineup additionally features eight seniors.
• Four NCAA participants from last season’s tournament return, including senior 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), who recorded a team-leading 31 wins in 2011-12. RU’s other returning 2012 national tournament participants are seniors: 149-pounder Mario Mason (Moorestown, N.J.), 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.). Senior 125-pounder Joseph Langel (Howell, N.J.) and senior 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) qualified for NCAA Championships earlier in their careers.
• Rutgers compiled a 13-8 overall dual record (5-1 EIWA) in the 2011-12 season, qualifying five individual wrestlers for the 2012 NCAA Championships.
Rutgers Hosting EIWA Championships for First Time in Program History
• The Scarlet Knights’ postseason march will begin at home. Rutgers plays host to the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships for the first time in program history from March 8-9 at the RAC. The 14-team event traditionally features some of the top wrestlers in the nation. Last season, 13 wrestlers from the conference earned NCAA All-America honors.
• Season ticket orders can be made online at www.ScarletKnights.com or by calling the ticket office at 1-866-445-GORU (4678).
Rutgers and the Clarion Golden Eagles
• Although both wrestling programs have held strong footholds in the Northeast throughout their existence, Rutgers and Clarion have only met on the mat twice, with both matches going to the Scarlet Knights under head coach Scott Goodale.
• The Scarlet Knights first defeated the Golden Eagles on Feb. 2, 2008 by a score of 23-9 in Goodale’s initial season. The following season, RU downed Clarion by a score of 21-15 on Nov. 23, 2008.
Scouting the Golden Eagles
• Under first-year head coach Troy Letters, Clarion’s lineup features six seniors. The veteran group includes 157-pound returning All-American James Fleming. The No. 4-ranked contender at the weight returns for the Golden Eagles after claiming fifth place at the 2012 NCAA Championships in St. Louis, Mo. Fellow senior and NCAA qualifer Steven Cressley returns at 184 pounds.
• Letters ascended to the head coaching position at Clarion after serving as an assistant coach one season ago. The former Lehigh standout compiled a 115-9 overall record from 2003-06, capturing the 2004 NCAA 165-pound title.
RU Crowns Three Champions at Hokie Open
• The Rutgers wrestling team saw three first-place individual finishes to begin the 2012-13 season at the Hokie Open on Nov. 4, with all three crowns earned by senior Scarlet Knights. Top honors were captured by 157-pounder Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) and 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.).
• Senior 149-pounder Mario Mason (Moorestown, N.J.) placed fourth, recording a 5-2 mark in the tournament. Junior 197-pounder Dan Seidenberg (Red Bank, N.J.) also placed fourth, notching a 3-2 record.
• Redshirt freshman heavyweight Billy Smith (High Point, N.J.) placed fifth after a 5-2 showing that included three pins. Senior Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.) earned a sixth-place finish at 141 pounds.