SYRACUSE, NY - Freshman Dana Gordon (Margate, NJ) easily defeated Catherine Zawadzki at second singles, but the Rutgers women’s tennis team (5-4, 3-2 BIG EAST) fell to conference foe Syracuse on Sunday morning, 6-1, in Syracuse, NY.
Gordon topped Zawadzki 6-2, 6-3, but three-set losses at first and third singles, respectively, proved to be the difference for RU. Sophomore Katrina Elder-Bush (Boston, MA) came back to win the second set against Victoria Vaynberg, 6-2, but fell in the third set, 6-3. Ketevan Shmakova (Dover, NJ) also forced a third-set super tiebreaker against Katie Bramante, but fell short, 10-8.
In doubles action, sophomore Anela Dujsic (Mississauga, Ontario) and Gordon played the closest match, losing 8-5. The Scarlet Knights will be in action next on Sunday, March 12 when they begin their annual Spring Break trip in Florida against Broward County Community College in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Syracuse 6, Rutgers 1
1. Victoria Vaynberg (SU) def. Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. Dana Gordon (RU) def. Catherine Zawadzki (SU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Katie Bramante (SU) def. Ketevan Shmakova (RU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
4. Maria Vasilyeva (SU) def. Alina Balasa (RU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Ashley Lipton (SU) def. Jill Markowitz (RU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Wei-Ming Leong (SU) def. Lauren Edelschein (RU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Victoria Vaynberg/Catherine Zawadzki (SU) def. Alina Balasa/Ketevan Shmakova (RU) 8-2
2. Katie Bramante/Wei-Ming Leong (SU) def. Anela Dujsic/Dana Gordon (RU) 8-5
3. Carolina Huignard/Ashley Lipton (SU) def. Lauren Edelschein/Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) 8-3