BETHLEHEM, PA - The Rutgers women's tennis team (2-1) won its second consecutive match in convincing fashion, defeating Lehigh on Thursday 7-0. The Scarlet Knights were spearheaded by six straight-set singles victories.
At first singles, Katrina Elder-Bush topped Gwen Dwyer, 6-2, 6-4, while freshman Dana Gordon had little trouble with Ariela Cohen, winning 6-2, 6-2. Senior captain Alina Balasa quickly defeated Alexis Jacobi at third singles, 6-1, 6-1, while Keteven Shmakova went to a first-set tiebreaker before winning 7-6, 6-2. Anela Dujsic and Jill Markowitz rounded out RU's singles winners.
In doubles action, the team of Balasa and Gordon topped Dwyer and Cohen, 8-2, while Markowitz and Shmakova outlasted Jacobi and Starrine Foster 8-4. Lauren Edelschein and Elder-Bush completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win at third doubles.
“This was a convincing win over a well-coached and strong Lehigh team,” said head coach Ben Bucca. “We're playing good tennis as we head into our next two matches against DePaul and Marquette, the two newest members of the BIG EAST.”
Rutgers makes its first-ever trip to Chicago, IL, to face the Blue Deamons on Sat. Feb. 18. The Scarlet Knights then stay in the Midwest for a match against Marquette on Sunday, Feb. 19.
Rutgers 7, Lehigh 0
1. Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Dana Gordon (RU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alina Balasa (RU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ketevan Shmakova (RU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
5. Anela Dujsic (RU) def. Lindsay Long (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jill Markowitz (RU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Balasa and Gordon (RU) def. Dwyer and Cohen (LU) 8-2
2. Markowitz and Shmakova (RU) def. Jacobi and Foster (LU) 8-4
3. Edelschein and Elder-Bush (RU) def. Long and Donohue (LU) 8-3