PISCATAWAY, NJ – The Seton Hall Pirates (12-6, 6-2 BIG EAST) won two of three doubles match and five singles matches to claim a hard-fought 6-1 decision over Rutgers (10-10, 5-3 BIG EAST) in women’s tennis action on Tuesday in Piscataway.
Senior Helen Magomedova (Brooklyn, NY) and sophomore Lauren Edelschein (Medford Lakes, NJ) breezed past Catalina Isaza and Lorell Zamont at third doubles, but a pair of 8-5 wins by the Pirates at first and second doubles gave SHU the team doubles point.
Trailing 1-0 entering the singles matches, freshman Katrina Elder-Bush made short work of Viviana Figueroa at first singles, 6-3, 6-3, raising her record this fall to 11-9. Seton Hall responded, however, with straight-set wins at second, third and fourth singles, respectively. Ketevan Shmakova (Dover, NJ) fought back to force a third-set tie breaker, but eventually fell to Isaza, 6-3, 5-7, 10-7.
Rutgers returns to action when it concludes its 2005 regular season on Friday, April 15, when it travels to Queens, NY, to face BIG EAST foe St. John’s.
SETON HALL 6, RUTGERS 1
1. Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) def. Viviana Figueroa (SHU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Ebru Burduroglu (SHU) def. Anela Dujsic (RU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Nadja Sein (SHU) def. Alina Balasa (RU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Lorell Zamot (SHU) def. Helen Magomedova (RU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Catalina Isaza (SHU) def. Ketevan Shmakova (RU), 6-3, 5-7, 10-7
6. Jennifer Seide (SHU) def. Lauren Edelschein (RU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Figueroa/Gyurgina (SHU) def. Elder-Bush/Shmakova (RU), 8-5
2. Burduroglu/Seide (SHU) def. Balasa/Dujsic (RU), 8-5
3. Magomedova/Edelschein (RU) def. Isaza/Zamot (SHU), 8-3