SOUTH ORANGE, NJ – The Rutgers women’s tennis team swept the three doubles matches en rout to a 5-2 win over Seton Hall on Saturday afternoon. RU concludes the regular season 13-7 overall and 7-3 in the BIG EAST.
"This victory really helps us as we move forward," said head coach Ben Bucca. "Seton Hall played hard, but our girls showed a lot of heart and character to pull out the win. We're playing our best tennis at the most important time of the year."
At first doubles, Andrea Weckstein (Holmdel, NJ) and Ketevan Shmakova (Dover, NJ) slipped past Kim Barfuss and Viviana Figueroa of SHU, 8-6. Alina Balasa (East Brunswuck, NJ) and Jill Markowitz (Forest Hills, NY) claimed a 8-4 triumph at second doubles, while Helen Magomedova (Brooklyn, NY) and Lauren Edelschein (Medford Lakes, NJ) won at third doubles, 8-3.
With a 1-0 lead entering the singles matches, Shmakova earned a 6-3, 6-1 win at second singles, while Balasa followed with a grueling three-set win at third singles (6-7, 7-6, 10-5). The Scarlet Knights clinched the match with wins at fifth and sixth singles, respectively, as Magomedova won in straight sets at fifth singles (6-4, 6-1) and Edelschein outlated Veronika Gerka at sixth singles, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3.
Rutgers will now await word from the BIG EAST Tournament seeding committie to determine if it receives a bid to the conference tournament, which takes place April 29-May 1 in Coral Gables, FL.
Rutgers 5, Seton Hall 2
1. Weckstein/Shmakova (RU) def. Barfuss/Figueroa (SHU), 8-6
2. Balasa/Markowitz (RU) def. Isaza/Zamot (SHU), 8-4
3. Magomedova/Edelschien (RU) def. Gerka/Jogi (SHU), 8-3
1. Kim Barfuss (SHU) def. Andrea Weckstein (RU), 6-2, 7-5
2. Ketevan Shmakova (RU) def. Viviana Figueroa (SHU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Alina Balasa (RU) def. Lorell Zamot (SHU), 6-7 (8), 7-6 (6), 10-5
4. Catalina Isaza (SHU) def. Jill Markowitz (RU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Helen Magomedova (RU) def. Mai-Iiis Jogi (SHU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Lauren Edelschein (RU) def. Veronika Gerka (SHU), 5-7, 6-2, 6-3