EASTON, PA – Using an alternate scoring method, the Rutgers women’s tennis team ended its losing streak with a convincing 5-0 victory over Lafayette on Wednesday, March 10, in Easton, PA.
Instead of the usual three doubles and six singles matches, RU and Lafayette played four singles and one doubles match. Rutgers won each match in straight sets, including the lone doubles match, 6-3, 6-3.
Andrea Weckstein defeated Chez Saricas at first singles and gave Rutgers the early 1-0 edge. Ketevan Shmakova followed with a 7-6, 6-2 win at second singles and Alina Balasa and Jill Markowitz closed out singles competition with convincing victories.
The Scarlet Knights will now spend a week in Florida, with matches against Broward County Community College, UTEP and St. Thomas University.
1. Andrea Weckstein (R) def. Chez Saricas, 6-3, 6-1
2. Ketevan Shmakova (R) def. Lisa Fung-Kee-Fung, 7-6, 6-2
3. Alina Balasa (R) def. Ali Kelley, 6-0, 6-2
4. Jill Markowitz (R) def. Stephanie Rosman, 6-2, 6-2
1. Kaitlin Link/Lauren Edelschein (R) def. Susan King/Danielle Bailey, 6-3, 6-3