PISCATAWAY, NJ - Army won three straight doubles matches and took four singles matches en route to a 5-2 decision to Rutgers on Friday, March 5, at the East Brunswick Racquet Club.
Rutgers (5-3) received victories from Jill Markowitz (Forest Hills, NY) and Kaitlin Link (Ontario, Canada) at fifth and sixth singles, respectively. Markowitz won 6-4, 6-3 while Link fought back after losing the first set to claim a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 triumph.
“It was a very close, hard-fought match,” said head coach Ben Bucca. “We played a lot of close matches, but Army was just a little bit better then us. You have to give them credit. I thought our kids gave it their best shot.”
The Scarlet Knights will be back in action on Sunday, March 7, when it hosts BIG EAST foe St. John’s at the Rutgers Tennis Bubble beginning at 1:00 p.m.
Army 5, Rutgers 2
1. Limsiaco/Noble (A) def. Weckstein/Shmakova (R) - 8-6
2. Bundoc/del Moral (A) def. Magomedova/Balasa (R) - 8-3
3. Pam Chavez /Paluch (A) def. Link/Markowitz (R) - 8-5
1. Marissa Limsiaco (A) def. Andrea Weckstein (R) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Ali del Moral (A) def. Alina Balasa (R) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Megan Noble (A) def. Ketevan Shmakova (R) - 7-5, 6-3
4. Melanie Bundoc (A) def. Helen Magomedova (R) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Jill Markowitz (R) def. Amanda Paluch (A) - 6-4, 6-3
6. Kaitlin Link (R) def. Lyndsey Nott (A) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-4