TAMPA, FLA. (April 19, 2014) – The No. 5 seeded Rutgers women’s tennis team (16-5, 3-1 AAC) concluded a successful campaign with a 4-0 loss to No. 1 Houston (21-4, 3-0 AAC) in the semifinals of the American Athletic Conference Championships. Houston received the No. 1 seed as it entered the tournament with the highest national ranking of any AAC team at No. 32 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) poll.
Houston captured the first two doubles matches to secure the doubles point, and went on to win the top three singles matchups for the win. The Cougars will face No. 3 USF in the championship match on Sunday, April 20 at 10 a.m.
The loss snaps an eight-match winning streak for RU. The Scarlet Knights conclude the season having won 13 of their last 15 contests.
Sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) finished as RU’s leader in singles wins, with 16 victories on the year. Also finishing with double-digit victories in solo action were senior co-captains Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) and Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.), as well as junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.).
Balasa, Balsamo and Petrini each recorded 14 wins, while Li finished with 13.
In doubles action, the duo of Balsamo and sophomore Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) led the way with 12 victories.
Houston 4, Rutgers 0
1. Elena Kordolaimi /Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Vanessa Petrini/Lindsey Kayati (RU): 8-1
2. Maria Andrea Cardenas /Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU): 8-3*
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez /Charlotte Phillips (HOU) vs. Gina Li/Farris Cunningham (RU): DNF
1. Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU): 6-0, 6-1
2. Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Gina Li (RU): 6-0, 6-1
3. Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Lindsey Kayati (RU): 6-0, 6-1*
4. Maria Andrea Cardenas (HOU) vs. Stefania Balasa (RU): DNF
5. Rocio Martin Fernandez (HOU) vs. Lindsay Balsamo (RU): DNF
6. Charlotte Phillips (HOU) vs. Mariam Zein (RU): DNF
Match Duration: 2:05
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.