EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. (March 28, 2014) – Returning home after three matches in New Orleans, the Rutgers tennis team (10-4, 2-1 AAC) improved to a perfect 4-0 in home matches, as the squad downed Temple (5-10, 0-3 AAC), 6-1, Friday afternoon in American Athletic Conference action.
Rutgers started the day by winning two of the three doubles matches to earn the point. The third doubles match ended in a no-decision. RU went on to win five of the six singles matches to earn its seventh win in the last eight matchups.
At singles, the Scarlet Knights battled the opposing Owls to nearly sweep all six head-to-head matches. At No. 1, senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) topped Alicia Doms by a score of 7-6 (5), 2-6, 6-1. In the No. 2 match, sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) easily picked up a first-set win by a score of 6-1, but Yana Mavrina tested the second-year Scarlet Knight, before Li edged out a 7-5 second-set victory.
Sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) picked up her team-leading 10th singles win at the No. 3 slot, defeating Jordan Batey, 6-3, 7-6 (5).
Senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) followed with a 5-7, 6-4, 12-10 victory over Dina Karina at No. 4. Junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) topped her opponent Anais Nussaume in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3.
In doubles play, Kayati and Li teamed up to defeat the tandem of Karina/Breland, 8-1 at No. 1. The duo of Balsamo and Zein added the second doubles win at No. 3, downing Doms/Okajima by a score of 8-3.
Rutgers returns home on Sunday, March 30 to take on Fordham in nonconference action.
Rutgers 6, Temple 1
1. Kayati/Li (RU) def. Dina Karina/Rebecca Breland (TU), 8-1
2. Petrini/Cunningham (RU) vs. Yana Mavrina/Anais Nussaume (TU), DNF
3. Balsamo/Zein (RU) def. Alicia Doms/Minami Okajima (TU), 8-3
1. Petrini (RU) def. Alicia Doms 7-6 (5), 2-6, 6-1
2. Li (RU) def. Yana Mavrina (TU), 6-1, 7-5
3. Kayati (RU) def. Jordan Batey (TU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Balasa (RU) def. Dina Karina (TU), 5-7, 6-4, 12-10
5. Balsamo (RU) def. Anais Nussaume (TU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Minami Okajima (TU) def. Cunningham (RU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-5 (4)
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook and Twitter for all of the latest news and updates. . For specific updates regarding Rutgers women’s lacrosse, follow the program on Twitter. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.
- RU -