ITHACA, N.Y. (March 1, 2014) – The Rutgers women’s tennis team (5-3, 1-1 AAC) topped Cornell (2-3) by a score of 4-3 Saturday evening to close out a six-match road stretch. After securing the doubles point with a sweep of all three matches, the Scarlet Knights were able to win three of the six singles matches to close out the win.
“Our two seniors won in both singles and doubles to help lead us to today’s win,” said head coach Ben Bucca, Jr.. “It was great to see their strong play and leadership skills guide the team to victory. This was an impressive victory over a strong Cornell team. Our will to win and strong competitive spirit was a decisive factor in winning this close and competitive match. We are motivated and feeling good, and look forward to our next match on Friday at home against Binghamton.”
The Scarlet Knights were exceptionally impressive in doubles play, as the squad downed the hosts in all three matchups.
Senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) scored an 8-3 win over Alexandra D’Ascenzo and Marika Cusick at No.1 singles, while junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and sophomore Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) outlasted Dena Tenanbaum and Lauren Frazier, 8-7 (1) at No. 2. Senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) and sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) notched an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles against Shannon Commolli and Christy Kung.
In singles play, Petrini, Balasa and Balsamo all recorded victories to secure the win. Petrini battled Tanenbaum to a 6-2, 6-7 (7-9), 6-4 win at No. 1 singles, while Balasa and Balsamo each swept their opponents at No. 5 and 6, respectively.
The Scarlet Knights return home for the first time since Feb. 7 on Friday, March 7, as the squad welcomes Binghamton to the East Brunswick Racquet Club. The match marks RU’s second home contest of the season in first nine games.
Rutgers 4, Cornell 3
1. Vanessa Petrini/Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Alexandra D'Ascenzo/Marika Cusick (Cornell), 8-3
2. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Dena Tanenbaum/Lauren Frazier (Cornell), 8-7 (1)
3. Stefania Balasa/Gina Li (RU) def. Shannon Comolli/Christy Kung (Cornell), 8-5
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Dena Tanenbaum (Cornell), 6-2, 6-7 (7-9), 6-4
2. Marika Cusick (Cornell) def. Gina Li (RU), 7-6 (3), 6-1.
3. Alexandra D'Ascenzo (Cornell) def. Lindsey Kayati (RU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Lauren Frazier (Cornell) def. Mariam Zein (RU), 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(8-6)
5. Stefania Balasa (RU) defeated Shannon Comolli (Cornell), 6-1, 6-3
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Christy Kung (Cornell), 6-1, 6-1
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.