LOUISVILLE, KY. (February 21, 2014) – The Rutgers tennis team (3-3, 0-1 AAC) fell, 6-1, to Louisville (6-2, 2-0 AAC) Friday afternoon on the road in its American Athletic Conference opener. Sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) continued her strong start to the season with a win at No. 4 singles, while the tandem of senior Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and freshman Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) notched a victory in doubles action.
“This was an intense match with both teams playing high quality tennis,” said head coach Ben Bucca, Jr. “Congrats to Louisville for a hard-fought win. We are very motivated to continue our strong play and garner a win Sunday over a tough Cincinnati squad.”
After the Cardinals secured the doubles point by capturing the first two doubles matches of the day, the duo of Petrini/Cunningham got the Scarlet Knights in the win column with an 8-5 defeat of Cassie Pough and Elle Stokes.
Louisville went on to win the first three singles matches, until Kayati pulled out a 7-6, 4-6,1-0 victory over Cassie Pough. The Cards rebounded by winning the final two matches in straight sets.
Rutgers is back in action on Sunday, Feb. 23 at Cincinnati.
Louisville 6, Rutgers 1
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Gina Li (RU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Mariam Zein (RU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Cassie Pough (LOU) 7-6, 4-6, 1-0
5. Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Stefanie Balasa (RU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Gina Li/Lindsey Kayati (RU) 8-3
2. Olivia Boesing/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU) 8-3
3. Vanessa Petrini/Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Cassie Pough/Elle Stokes (LOU) 8-5
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.