PRINCETON, N.J. (February 19, 2014) – The Rutgers tennis team (3-2) dropped a 6-1 road decision to Princeton (5-3) on Wednesday evening. Freshman Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) led the Scarlet Knights with the lone win of the day at No. 6 singles.
Cunningham would defeat Princeton’s Sivan Krems in a 10-5 tiebreaker, after taking the first set by a score of 6-3 and dropping the second, 2-6. With the win, Cunningham improves to 2-1 in singles action.
Sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and junior Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) were also competitive on the day at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively, as they each dropped their singles match by identical scores of 6-3, 6-3. Kayati’s loss marks her first upset of the season, as she entered today’s contest with a perfect 4-0 record.
The Scarlet Knights nearly opened the day with a win at No. 1 doubles, however the tandem of Kayati and sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) were edged by the Tigers’ Lindsay Graff/Dorothy Tang, 8-6.
Rutgers returns to the courts on Friday, Feb. 21 as the team begins American Athletic Conference play at Louisville.
1. Lindsay Graff (Princeton) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Amanda Muliawan (Princeton) def. Gina Li (RU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Alanna Wolff (Princeton) def. Mariam Zein (RU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Emily Hahn (Princeton) def. Lindsey Kayati (RU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Dorothy Tang (Princeton) def. Stefania Balasa (RU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Sivan Krems (Princeton), 6-3, 2-6, (10-5)
1. Lindsay Graff/Dorothy Tang (Princeton) def. Lindsey Kayati/Gina Li (RU), 8-6
2. Amanda Muliawan/Alanna Wolff (Princeton) def. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU), 8-3
3. Emily Hahn/Sivan Krems (Princeton) def. Farris Cunningham/Vanessa Petrini (RU), 8-3
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.