WEST POINT, N.Y. (February 16, 2014) – The Rutgers tennis team (3-1) handed Army (6-1) its first loss of the season, 6-0, Sunday afternoon in West Point, N.Y. After securing the doubles point by winning two of the three matches, RU went on to capture five of the six singles games, with one ending in a no-decision.
“The team always look forward to this match, I think it’s one of our rival matches and the scores are always close,” said assistant coach Hilary Ritchie. “Our ladies came out swinging very nicely today and we showed a lot of confidence and played some decisive tennis overall to result in a very good win. We’re excited for another big week of competition coming up.”
Rutgers opened the day by winning two of the three doubles matches, with the teams of sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and classmate Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) topping Elle Taylor and Della Taylor, 8-4 at No. 1 doubles and senior Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and freshman Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) defeating Margaret Illiev and Carly Riney by the same score at No. 3. The tandem of junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and sophomore Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) would fall at No. 2 doubles by a mark of 8-7, 7-1 in the tiebreaker.
The Scarlet Knights went on to win five of the six singles matches, with Zein’s match ending in a “did not finish” against Gabriella Spingler at No. 3. RU won all five matches in straight sets, with the exception of No. 2 singles, where Li needed a tie breaker set to take down Carolyn Pitman.
RU returns to action on Wednesday Feb. 19 as it takes on instate rival Princeton on the road.
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Jamila Paul (Army), 6-0, 6-4
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Carolyn Pitman (Army), 7-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Gabriella Spindler (Army) , 6-7, 11-9, DNF
4. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Elle Taylor (Army), 6-1, 6-0
5. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Nan Porter (Army), 6-3, 6-1
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Margaret Iliev (Army), 6-4, 6-2
1. Lindsey Kayati/Gina Li (RU) def. Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (Army), 8-4
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (Army) def. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU), 8-7, 7-1
3. Vanessa Petrini/Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Margaret Iliev/Carly Riney (Army), 8-4
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.