PHILADELPHIA (February 9, 2014) – The Rutgers tennis team (2-1) fell to Penn (2-2) by a score of 6-1, Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia, Pa. The Scarlet Knights were highly competitive despite the loss, as three of the defeats came down to tiebreakers.
“Our team fought hard and showed great spirit, unfortunately Penn was a little bit more prepared for today,” said assistant coach Hilary Ritchie. “We’re motivated to practice hard this week and look forward to our next match at Army.”
Sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) secured the lone victory for RU on the day, as she defeated Stephanie Do at No. 5 singles. After capturing a 6-3 set-one win, Kayati would drop the second set by a score of 6-3, before rebounding for a 10-7 win in the tiebreaker.
Rutgers also played in two additional singles matches that required a tiebreaker, as well as one doubles match.
After dropping the first two doubles matches, the tandem of senior Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and freshman Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) would drop the tiebreaker by a score of 9-7 to Do and Alex Ion after the match concluded at 6-5.
Both Petrini and Cunningham also ended their respective singles matches in tiebreaker decisions as well. At No. 1 singles Petrini would ultimately fall to Sol Eskenazi 6-0, 7-6, 7-4, while Cunningham required a third-set tiebreaker at No. 5 singles and was defeated by Ion 4-6, 7-6, 11-9, 10-5.
Rutgers is back in action on Sunday, Feb. 16, as the team faces Army in Westpoint N.Y. The match marks the second of six consecutive contests that the Scarlet Knights will play away from “The Banks.” RU returns home on March 7 against Binghamton.
Penn 6, Rutgers 1
1. Sol Eskenazi (Penn) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-0, 7-6, 7-4
2. Kana Daniel (Penn) def. Gina Li (RU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Sonya Latycheva (Penn) def. Mariam Zein (RU), 6-3, 6-0
4. Jaime Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Stefania Balasa (RU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Stephanie Do (Penn), 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
6. Alex Ion def. Farris Cunningham (RU), 4-6, 7-6, 11-9, 10-5
1. Sol Eskenazi/Kana Daniel (Penn) def. Gina Li/Lindsey Kayati (RU), 6-1
2. Sonya Latycheva/Jaime Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU), 6-2
3. Stephanie Do/Alex Ion (Penn) def. Vanessa Petrini/Farris Cunningham (RU), 6-5, 9-7
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.