EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. (February 7, 2014) – In its 2014 home opener, the Rutgers tennis team (2-0) defeated the visiting Fairleigh Dickinson Knights (1-1) by a score of 5-2 at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. For the second-straight match, RU swept all three doubles matches and proceeded to win four of the six singles matches for the victory.
“This was a close match and we were a determined team really focused on winning,” said head coach Ben Bucca, Jr. “Our strong spirit gave us the edge to pull out this victory. We’re looking forward to a good match against a very talented UPenn team on Sunday.”
After sweeping all three doubles matches for the doubles point, Rutgers would face their first loss of the day at No. 1 singles to tie the match at 1-1. The Scarlet Knights quickly rebounded, however, as sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) topped Nicole Chis by a score of 6-3,6-2 to put RU back in front. Fellow second-year Scarlet Knight Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) followed with her own individual win, topping Gisela Castany at No. 3 singles by scores of 6-2, 7-5.
At No. 4 singles, senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) would suffer a hard-fought 2-6, 6-1, 10-8 loss, but sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) followed with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Mariya Krachok. Junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) closed out the day for the hosts with a 7-5, 6-2 defeat of Manuela Leme.
Rutgers returns to action on Sunday, Feb. 9 as the team treks to Philadelphia, Pa. to face UPenn.
Rutgers 5, FDU 2
1. Ksenija Tihomirova (FDU) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Nicole Chis (FDU) 6-3,6-2
3. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Gisela Castany (FDU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Shreya Pasricha (FDU) def Stefania Balasa (RU), 2-6, 6-1, 10-8
5. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Mariya Krachok (FDU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Manuela Leme (FDU), 7-5, 6-2
1 .Gina Li/Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Ksenija Tihomirova/Gisela Castany (FDU), 6-4
2. Lindsay Balsamo/Maria Zein (RU) def. Nicole Chis/Shreya Pasricha (FDU), 6-2
3. Vanessa Petrini/Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Mariya Krachok/Manuela Leme (FDU), 6-3
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.