BETHLEHEM, Pa. (February 4, 2014) – The Rutgers women’s tennis team opened the 2014 season in impressive fashion with a 7-0 road victory over Lehigh on Tuesday evening. RU swept all six singles matches, as well as all three doubles matches.
“This was a very strong result for the team, as we went up against a much improved Lehigh team,” said head coach Ben Bucca Jr. “The team played with a strong sense of purpose and a winning attitude. We’re happy with this result in our opening match and are looking forward to playing FDU on Friday at home for our home opener.”
The Scarlet Knights opened the day by securing the doubles point after sweeping all three doubles matches.
At No. 1 doubles, the tandem of sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) defeated Lehigh’s Jenai Bilimoria and Abby Farrell, by a score of 6-1. The Scarlet Knights continued their strong play at No. 2 doubles as senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Ct.) and freshman Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) topped Taylor Hampshire and Cassidy Cruz, 6-3. Junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and sophomore Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) round out doubles play with a 6-2 win over Jessica Graham and Alexandra Kaminetsky at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, at number one, Petrini defeated Jenai Bilimoria by scores of 6-3, 6-1. At No. 2, Li would easily down Abby Farrell, 6-1, 6-2, followed by Mariam Zein at No. 3 singles who defeated Cassidy Cruz by a mark of 6-3, 6-2.
Senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) recorded a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Jessica Graham and No. 4 singles and Kayati downed Kaminetsky 6-1, 6-1. In her first singles collegiate match, Cunningham would close out the day for RU with a 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles over Jill Sloand.
Rutgers returns to action on Friday, Feb. 7 as it hosts its first home contest of the season against Fairleigh Dickinson at the East Brunswick Racquet Club.
Rutgers 7, Lehigh 0
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (Lehigh), 6-3, 6-1
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Abby Farrell (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-2
3. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Cassidy Cruz (Lehigh), 6-3, 6-2
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Jessica Graham (Lehigh), 6-2, 6-3
5. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Ali Kaminetsky (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-1
6. Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Jill Sloand (Lehigh), 6-4, 6-0
1. Lindsey Kayati/Gina Li (RU) def. Jenai Bilimoria/Abby Farrell (Lehigh), 6-1
2. Vanessa Petrini/Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Taylor Hampshire/Cassidy Cruz (Lehigh), 6-3
3. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Jess Graham/Ali Kaminetsky (Lehigh), 6-2
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.