BINGHAMTON, NY – The Rutgers women’s tennis rebounded from its first loss of the season to register a convincing 6-1 triumph over SUNY-Binghamton on Sunday, Feb. 15. The Scarlet Knights won two of three doubles matches and five singles matches en rout to the victory.
Andrea Weckstein (Holmdel, NJ) and Ketevan Shmakova (Dover, NJ) lost a hard-fought match at first doubles (8-6), but Alina Balasa (East Brunswick, NJ) and Helen Magomedova (Brooklyn, NY) rebounded at second doubles, and Kaitlin Link (Ontario, Canada) and Lauren Edelschein (Medford Lakes, NJ) won by default at third doubles.
In singles, Wecksetin won the closest match of the contest, outlasting Binghampton’s Melis Altinay 4-6, 7-5, 10-8 at first singles. Shmakova, Megomedova, Markowtiz and Link all won easily in straight sets.
“We came back very nicely from the loss on Saturday,” said head coach Ben Bucca. “We won a couple of close matches that helped us gain confidence. It sets up a big match next Saturday at Connecticut. We’re expecting another tough conference test, just like they all are.”
Rutgers returns to action next Saturday, Feb. 21, when it looks to even its BIG EAST record at 1-1 when it faces the Huskies on Connecticut.
Rutgers 6, SUNY-Binghampton 1
1. Melis Altinay & Lya Kushnirovich (Bing) 8-2 def. Andrea Weckstein & Ketevan
Shmakova (R) 8-6
2. Alina Balusa & Helen Magomedova (Rutgers) def. Vera Popova & Sherri Stern (Bing) 8-1
3. Kaitlin Link & Lauren Edelschein (Rutgers) win by forfeit
1. Weckstein (Rutgers) def. Altinay (Bing) 4-6, 7-5 (10-8)
2. Kushnirovich (Bing) def. Balasa (Rutgers) 6-4, 6-1
3. Shmakova (Rutgers) def. Popova (Bing) 6-0, 6-1
4. Magomedova (Rutgers) def. Stern (Bing) 6-1, 6-1
5. Markowitz (Rutgers) def. Peterson (Bing) 6-0, 6-0
6. Link (Rutgers) wins by forfeit