Andrea Weckstein (Holmdel, NJ) and Ketevan Shmakova (Dover, NJ) began the match with a convincing 8-3 victory at first doubles. Alina Balasa (East Brunswick, NJ) and Helen Magomedova (Brooklyn, NY) followed that up with a 8-4 victory at second doubles, while Kaitlin Link (Ontario, Canada) and Lauren Edelschein (Medford Lakes, NJ) won easily at third doubles, 8-2.
In singles action, Rutgers was also dominant, as five of the six matches were decided in straight sets. Weckstein won at first singles (6-3, 6-1) and Balasa was pushed to three sets, but pulled out a hard-fought 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3) victory. Shmakova, Magomedova, Jill Markowitz (Forest Hills, NY) and Link all registered convincing victories.
The Scarlet Knights return to action this weekend with a pair of matches in New York, traveling to Syracuse on Saturday, Feb. 14, before facing SUNY-Binghamton on Sunday, Feb. 15
Rutgers 7, Fordham 0
1. Andrea Weckstein (R) def. Christina Papa (F), 6-3, 6-1
2. Alina Balasa (R) def. Doina Sandor (F), 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Ketevan Shmakova (R) def. Lisa Vulin (F), 6-4, 6-2
4. Helena Magomedova (R) def. Elizabeth Murray (F), 6-1, 6-1
5. Jill Markowitz (R) def. Candice Lee (F), 6-0, 6-1
6. Kaitlin Link (R) def. Christina Leavenworth (F), 6-1, 6-3
1. Weckstein/Shmakova (R) def. Sandor/Lee (F), 8-3
2. Magomedova/Balasa (R) def. Papa/Vulin (F), 8-4
3. Link/Edelschein (R) def. Leavenworth/Murray (F), 8-2