PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 20, 2013) – The sixth-seeded Rutgers women’s tennis team finished the season with a 4-0 loss to No. 8 Marquette at the BIG EAST Championship in Tampa, Fla., Saturday. The Scarlet Knights defeated the Golden Eagles, 5-2, earlier in the season on March 1.
Led by 10th-year head coach Benjamin Bucca, RU concluded 2013 with a 14-9 record including an 8-4 mark in conference play. Marquette improved to 13-12 (3-6 BIG EAST).
The Scarlet Knights dropped two of the three doubles contests, giving the Golden Eagles the point. In singles play, Marquette won the first three contests that finished, notching the victory.
Freshman Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) finished the season with a team-best 16-5 record, including a 9-1 mark in league play at her No. 2 singles position. Three other Scarlet Knights recorded 10 or more wins on the season, including freshman Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) with 13, junior Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) with 11 and sophomore Noor Judeh (Potomac, Md.) with 10.
No. 8 Marquette 4, No. 6 Rutgers 0
1. Ana Pimienta (MU) did not finish vs. Vanessa Petrini (RU)
2. Erin Gebes (MU) did not finish vs. Gina Li (RU)
3. Aina Hernandez Soler (MU) def. Lindsey Kayati (RU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Rocio Diaz (MU) def. Stefania Balasa (RU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ali Dawson (MU) did not finish vs. Mariam Zein (RU)
6. Laia Hernandez Soler (MU) def. Noor Judeh (RU) 7-5, 6-3 *
1. Dawson/A. Hernandez Soler (MU) did not finish vs. Petrini/Li (RU)
2. Pimienta/Gebes (MU) def. Kayati/Zein (RU) 8-3 *
3. Diaz/Aleeza Kanner (MU) def. Balasa/Lindsay Balsamo (RU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6
Match Duration: 3:05
* deciding match
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis.