PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 19, 2013) – After downing 11th-seeded St. John’s, 4-2, in the first round of the BIG EAST Championships Thursday, the Rutgers women’s tennis team fell to third-seeded Louisville, 4-0, Friday in Tampa, Fla., at the University of South Florida. The Scarlet Knights will continue play in the consolation bracket of the tournament, needing two wins to take fifth place.
The Scarlet Knights moved to 14-8 on the season and 8-3 in conference play.
“The match today was extremely hard-fought and really typical of good BIG EAST competition,” said assistant coach Hilary Ritchie. “Rutgers supporters would really have been proud of how our team competed at every position.”
The Scarlet Knights dropped the opening doubles point and came up short in the first three singles matches that were completed in the contest. The Cardinals (16-7, 3-0 BIG EAST) came into the contest ranked No. 69 in the country in the most recent ITA rankings.
Rutgers will next play at noon tomorrow, April 20, against an opponent to be determined.
Louisville 4, Rutgers 0
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UofL) did not finish vs. Vanessa Petrini (RU)
2. Rebecca Shine (UofL) did not finish vs. Gina Li (RU)
3. Manuela Velasquez (UofL) def. Lindsey Kayati (RU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Stefanie Villajuan (UofL) def. Stefania Balasa (RU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2 *
5. Mandy Brown (UofL) did not finish vs. Mariam Zein (RU)
6. Rebecca Bodine (UofL) def. Noor Judeh (RU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Fellerhoff/Shine (UofL) def. Petrini/Li (RU) 8-1
2. Bodine/Villajuan (UofL) did not finish Kayati/Zein (RU)
3. Velasquez/Brown (UofL) def. Balasa/Lindsay Balsamo (RU) 8-4 *
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4
Match Duration: 2:56
* deciding match
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis.