PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 10, 2013) – In its final home match of the 2013 season, the Rutgers women’s tennis team downed in-state BIG EAST foe Seton Hall, 6-1, at the RU Tennis Complex, Wednesday. The Scarlet Knights dropped just one singles contest in the matchup.
“We’re thrilled with this BIG EAST win, especially against our in-state rival Seton Hall,” said 10th-year head coach Benjamin Bucca. “It feels great to get back in the win column after our loss against Syracuse. We now look forward to what we expect to be a really tough match with a very talented Georgetown team on Saturday.”
RU improved to 12-7 overall and 6-2 in conference play. The Pirates fell to 5-11 (2-4 BIG EAST).
Rutgers picked up the doubles point by sweeping Seton Hall. Junior Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and freshman Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) started it off with a hard-fought 8-7 (5) victory over Chloe Sher and Rocio Portela of SHU. The tandem notched its 10th win as a pair this season and moved to 5-2 in league play. Portela and Cher were 11-4 as a doubles team coming into the contest.
Freshmen Lindsay Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) followed that up with an 8-6 win over Julia Keenan and Madison Shoemaker, before junior Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) and sophomore Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) recorded an 8-1 decision over the Pirates’ Alex Lambert and Anna Guryanova, 8-1.
Despite dropping the No. 1 singles contest, the Scarlet Knights were victorious in the next five matchups to secure the victory, not dropping a single set. Li defeated Portela, (6-1, 6-0) for her team-best 14th win of the campaign. She holds a 7-1 record in BIG EAST play. Kayati then beat Keenan to improve to 12-4 this season and 6-2 in league competition.
Balasa, Zein and Balsamo wrapped up the Rutgers win, each coming out victorious in straight sets.
The Scarlet Knights close the regular season against Georgetown in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, April 13, at 11 a.m.
Rutgers 6, Seton Hall 1
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Rocio Portela (SHU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Lindsay Kayati (RU) def. Julia Keenan (SHU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Alex Landert (SHU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Karina Cordero (SHU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Vanessa Petrini/Gina Li (RU) def. Chloe Sher/Rocio Portela (SHU), 8-7 (5)
2. Lindsey Kayati/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Julia Keenan/Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 8-6
3. Stefania Balasa/Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Alex Landert/Anna Guryanova (SHU), 8-1
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis.