PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 4, 2013) – The Rutgers women’s tennis team downed BIG EAST opponent St. John’s, 5-2, in Flushing Meadows, N.Y., Thursday. The Scarlet Knights won four of the six contested singles matches and took the doubles point.
Rutgers improved to 11-6, including a 5-1 mark in conference play, under the direction of 10th-year head coach Benjamin Bucca. The Red Storm fell to 7-8 (2-2 BIG EAST).
The Scarlet Knights earned the doubles point, winning the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles contests. Freshmen Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) started RU off by beating Nevena Selakovic and Ksenia Mikhaylova of St. John’s, 8-7. Sophomore Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and junior Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) secured the point by defeating Yanita Arnaudova and Gvantsa Robakidze in the tiebreaker, 8-7 (9-4).
After dropping the first singles match, RU won four-straight contests. Freshman Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) started the run with a hard-fought victory over the Red Storm’s Amber Washington, 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5). Li earned her team-best 13th win of the season and improved to 6-0 in conference play.
Kayati, Balasa and Zein followed Li’s lead, each picking up singles points to help the Scarlet Knights to the win.
Rutgers next takes on conference-foe Syracuse at home on Sunday, April 7 at 10 a.m.
Rutgers 5, St. John’s 2
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-1, 6-1
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-4, 7-6
5. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
6. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) def. Noor Judeh (RU) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Amber Washington/Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Vanessa Petrini/Gina Li (RU) 8-6
2. Lindsey Kayati/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Nevena Selakovic/Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 8-7
3. Lindsay Balsamo/Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Yanita Arnaudova/Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 8-7 (9-4)
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis.