SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. (April 12, 2012) – Rutgers University women’s tennis defeated Seton Hall University, 6-1, on Thursday afternoon, improving the team’s record to 10-8 overall and 5-3 in the BIG EAST. It was the fifth-straight time the Scarlet Knights had beaten the Pirates.
“This was another strong performance by Rutgers tennis today,” said ninth-year head coach Benjamin Bucca. “We had a very difficult playing environment and had to play against a very spirited and inspired Seton Hall team. We were able to overcome significant obstacles with really competitive and aggressive play. This team is having fun and we are playing confident, strong tennis, which is a recipe for success.”
Rutgers won five of the six singles matches, with sophomore Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) leading the way from the fourth slot, winning her match 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Noor Judeh (Potomac, Md.) and senior Morgan Ivey (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.) also won their contests decisively.
In doubles play, RU’s No. 2 and No. 3 pairs were each victorious to earn the doubles point for the Scarlet Knights. The team of Ivey and freshman Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) won 8-3, and Balasa and Judeh rolled to an 8-1 victory.
Rutgers comes back home to finish the regular season with matches against BIG EAST opponents Pittsburgh and West Virginia on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Both will start at 12 noon at the RU Tennis Complex.
Rutgers 6, Seton Hall 1
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-0, 5-7, 10-6
2. Jennifer Holzberg (RU) def. Rocio Portela (SHU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Morgan Ivey (RU) def. Elizabeth Verow (SHU), 6-3, 6-0
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Karina Cordero (SHU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 6-7 (5), 6-0, 10-3
6. Noor Judeh (RU) def. Maria Rodriguez (SHU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Portela/Sher (SHU) def. Holzberg/Petrini (RU), 8-3
2. Balsamo/Ivey (RU) def. Shoemaker/Verow (SHU), 8-2
3. Balasa/Judeh (RU) def. Anna Guryanova/Rodriguez (SHU), 8-1
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.