MT. PLEASANT, S.C. (March 12, 2012) – Senior Morgan Ivey (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.) won in straight sets in her hometown to help Rutgers University women’s tennis to a 5-2 win over Boston University on Monday. The match was played at the College of Charleston.
RU improved to 6-5 with the victory, while the Terriers fell to 4-5.
“Every player played with great team spirit and the will to win today,” said head coach Benjamin Bucca. “The strong competitive spirit and great effort was the key to our win. It was a very exciting and close match and we are just thrilled to come away with the victory.”
Ivey took her match 6-2, 6-2 to help the Scarlet Knights win four singles matches and seal the match. Sophomore Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.), playing in the first slot for the first time this season, won in two sets, while sophomore Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) won for the eighth time in ten matches. Freshman Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) is now 2-0 at the number five position after her straight-set win.
Rutgers won the doubles point with the first team of senior Jennifer Holzberg (Easton, Conn.) and Petrini and the second duo of Ivey and Balsamo both winning 8-3.
The Scarlet Knights will conclude their stay in South Carolina with a match at Charleston Southern on Wednesday, March 14 at 2 p.m.
Rutgers University 5, Boston University 2
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Vivien Laszloffy (BU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (BU) def. Jennifer Holzberg (RU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Morgan Ivey (RU) def. Monika Mical (BU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Jessi Linero (BU) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)
5. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Sami Lieb (BU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Amelia Martinez (BU) def. Satreethai Sasinin (RU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Holzberg/Petrini (RU) def. Linero/Athanasiadis (BU) 8-3
2. Ivey/Balsamo (RU) def. Nunic/Mical (BU) 8-3
3. Laszloffy/Santini (RU) def. Balasa/Sasinin (BU) 8-2
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.