MILWAUKEE (March 2, 2012) – Rutgers University women’s tennis suffered a 5-2 defeat at Marquette on Friday at Helfaer Tennis Stadium. The Scarlet Knights dropped to 5-3 overall and 1-2 in the BIG EAST.
“We were disappointed with today’s outcome and did not play our best tennis,” said head coach Benjamin Bucca after the match. “All we can do is reflect on it, regroup and come out with a strong competitive spirit against DePaul tomorrow.”
The Rutgers first doubles team of senior Jennifer Holzberg (Easton, Conn.) and sophomore Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) won their match 9-8 in a tiebreaker, but Marquette (8-2, 3-0 BIG EAST) took the second and third position matches to earn the doubles point.
In singles, the Golden Eagles won four of the six matches to seal the team win. Senior Morgan Ivey (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.) and freshman Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) each picked up wins for Rutgers.
The Scarlet Knights will return to Helfaer Tennis Stadium on Saturday at 10 a.m. to take on No. 38 DePaul in a neutral site match.
Marquette 5, Rutgers 2
1. Olga Fischer (MARQ) def. Jennifer Holzberg (RU) 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Gillian Hush (MARQ) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Morgan Ivey (RU) def. Ali Dawson (MARQ) 6-2, 6-4
4. Rocio Diaz (MARQ) def. Stefania Balasa (RU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ana Pimienta (MARQ) def. Noor Judeh (RU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Kristina Radan (MARQ) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jennifer Holzberg/Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Gillian Hush/Olga Fischer (MARQ) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Ana Pimienta/Rocio Diaz (MARQ) def. Stefania Balasa/Noor Judeh (RU) 8-2
3. Kristina Radan/Ali Dawson (MARQ) def. Morgan Ivey/Lindsay Balsamo 8-5
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.