COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Senior Farris Cunningham picked up her fifth conference singles victory in her past six outings, but Rutgers tennis suffered a 6-1 loss to No. 44 Maryland Saturday afternoon in College Park.
Cunningham won in straight sets over Cassandre Thebault, 6-2, 6-3.The Houston, Texas, native now has five Big Ten wins this season over the the Terrapins, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State and Northwestern.
Freshman Jacqueline Cochrane suffered a hard-fought loss in No. 5 singles to Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka. After dropping her first set, 7-6 (4), Cochrane also lost her second second, 7-5, in the tough defeat.
In doubles play, Alexandra Stanova and Kristina Hovsepyan defeated junior Mingxiu Du and freshman Katherine Muzik, 6-1. Ekaterina Tour amd Caroline Williams defeated junior Chloe Lee and senior Ksenija Tihomirova, 6-1, to secure the doubles point.
RU closes out the regular season with home matches against Wisconsin (April 21) and Minnesota (April 23). Rutgers’ contest with Minnesota serves as senior day, as Cunningham and Tihomirova will be honored prior to play.
No. 44 Maryland 6, Rutgers 1
1. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Mingxiu Du/Katherine Muzik (RU), 6-1
2. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Chloe Lee/ Ksenjia Tihomirova (RU), 6-1
3. Arnelle Sullivan/Cassandre Thebault (UMD) vs. Farris Cunningham/Jacqueline Cochrane (RU), UF
1. Alexandra Stanova (UMD) def. Mingxiu Du (RU), 6-1, 7-5
2. Ekaterina Tour (UMD) def. Ksenjia Tijomirova (RU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) def. Chloe Lee (RU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) def. Katherine Muzik (RU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (UMD) def. Jacqueline Cochrane (RU), 7-6 (4), 7-5
6. Farris Cunningham (RU) def. Cassandre Thebault (UMD), 6-2, 6-3
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers tennis, follow the program on Twitter (@RUwtennis). The team is also on Facebook (facebook.com/Rut