EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. – Rutgers tennis registered a dominate 6-1 victory over Stony Brook Wednesday afternoon at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. The match began outside at the RU Tennis Center before rain forced the contest inside the EBRC.
“This was a good match for us at this point in the season,” said head coach Hilary Ritchie. “It was a 6-1 score, but it was actually a lot closer in some of those matches. Our team had to play disciplined tennis to pick up those wins.”
The Scarlet Knights played doubles with the Seawolves for about 15 minutes outside before rain began to fall, prompting the match inside. Once at the EBRC, junior Chloe Lee and senior Ksenija Tihomirova downed Ana Carrion and Ann-Katherin Hierl, 6-3 in the No. 2 position. In No. 3 doubles, senior Farris Cunningham and freshman Jacqueline Cochrane picked up their team-leading 10th doubles win with a 7-5 decision over Amanda Foo and Elizabeth Tsvetkov.
Cunningham carried over the momentum into No. 6 singles play, as she defeated Hierl in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. It marked the fifth win in her past six outings, which includes Big Ten Conference victories over Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State and Northwestern.
Three of RU’s final four singles wins were in straight sets. Tihomirova defeated Ester Chikvashvili, 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 2 position. Freshman Katherine Muzik earned a 6-3, 6-2 decision against Carrion in No. 4 singles, while Cochrane won over Foo, 6-2, 6-2.
In No. 3 singles, Lee won her first set, 6-3, before she fell behind Nadia Smergut in set two, 6-4. In the third set tiebreaker, both went back and forth before Lee pulled out her 11-9 win in set three to secure her match.
Rutgers returns to action on Saturday, when the Scarlet Knights compete at Maryland in conference action. The match is set for a noon start in College Park.
Rutgers 6, Stony Brook 1
1. Elizabeth Tsvetkov (STONY) def. Du, Mingxiu (RU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tihomirova, Ksenija (RU) def. Ester Chikvashvili (STONY) 6-3, 6-4
3. Lee, Chloe (RU) def. Nadia Smergut (STONY) 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
4. Muzik, Katherine (RU) def. Ana Carrion (STONY) 6-3, 6-2
5. Cochrane, Jacqueline (RU) def. Amanda Foo (STONY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Cunningham, Farris (RU) def. Anne-Kathrin Hierl (STONY) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ester Chikvashvili/Nadia Smergut (STONY) def. Du, Mingxiu/Muzik, Katherine (RU) 6-1
2. Lee, Chloe/Tihomirova, Ksenija (RU) def. Ana Carrion/Anne-Kathrin Hierl (STONY) 6-3
3. Cochrane, Jacqueline/Cunningham, Farris (RU) def. Amanda Foo/Elizabeth Tsvetkov (STONY) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers tennis, follow the program on Twitter (@RUwtennis). The team is also on Facebook (facebook.com/RutgersTennis).