PISCATAWAY, N.J – Rutgers tennis fell to Michigan State, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Rutgers Tennis Center in Piscataway, N.J. Mingxiu Du collected a win in No. 1 singles to highlight action for the Scarlet Knights, who competed outside for the first time at home this season.
“Unfortunately, today we didn’t have our best performance,” said head coach Hilary Ritchie. “It’s a long stretch during this point of the season, so we just need to refocus and find the energy to finish strong at home.”
Du produced an impressive performance in the No. 1 singles position, as the junior defeated Aslina Chua, 6-2, 6-0, to win in straight sets. The victory was the second in her last three outings, as Du also added a win in the No. 1 spot against Penn State on April 2.
MSU’s Lexi Baylis snapped senior Farris Cunningham’s four-match Big Ten Conference winning streak, as Cunningham fell in three sets. The Houston, Texas, native went ahead 6-3 in her first set before she dropped a tight 6-4 decision in the second. In the third-set tiebreaker, Baylis defeated Cunningham, 10-2. Cunningham had four-straight wins over Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State and Northwestern prior to the loss.
Michigan State won the doubles point thanks to victories in the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Senior Ksenija Tihomirova and junior Chloe Lee’s No. 2 doubles match went down as a DNF.
The Scarlet Knights return to action on Wednesday against Stony Brook at the RU Tennis Center. Three of the Scarlet Knights’ final four regular-season matches take place at home.
Michigan State 6, Rutgers 1
1. Du, Mingxiu (RU) def. Aslina Chua (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Tihomirova, Ksenija (RU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Emily Metcalf (MSU) def. Lee, Chloe (RU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Davina Nguyen (MSU) def. Muzik, Katherine (RU) 6-2, 7-6 (5-0)
5. Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Cochrane, Jacqueline (RU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lexi Baylis (MSU) def. Cunningham, Farris (RU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-2
1. Emily Metcalf/Davina Nguyen (MSU) def. Du, Mingxiu/Muzik, Katherine (RU) 6-1
2. Lee, Chloe/Tihomirova, Ksenija (RU) def. Athena Trouillot/Samantha Memije (MSU) 5-4 (DNF)
3. Aslina Chua/Lexi Baylis (MSU) def. Cochrane, Jacqueline/Cunningham, Farris (RU) 6-2
Michigan State 15-5 (5-2 Big Ten)
Rutgers 6-11 (1-6 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,5,3,4,6)
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers tennis, follow the program on Twitter (@RUwtennis). The team is also on Facebook (facebook.com/RutgersTennis).