PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Sophomore Izaiah Brown was named Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week, announced Wednesday by the conference.
Brown earned the weekly honor after he finished first in the 400m with a time of 45.67 this weekend at the SPIRE Indoor Invitational in Geneva, Ohio. The Amsterdam, New York, native also anchored the 4x400m relay team that finished with a school indoor record of 3:08.42 at the invite.
Brown’s time in the 400m is currently the top mark amongst conference athletes heading into next week’s Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships from Feb. 24-25. It is also the second fastest time nationally and fourth fastest result in the world.
“He ran the second fastest time in the country and then came back and anchored the 4x400m relay team that produced a school record, so it was a real impressive weekend for Izaiah,” said head coach Mike Mulqueen. “Sprint coach Lou Tomlinson has done a nice job with Izaiah and the rest of the athletes again this season. Izaiah is in great shape heading into Big Ten’s.”
This marks Brown’s second weekly conference plaudit, as he earned co-track athlete of the week honors on Jan. 13, 2016 as a rookie.
Brown is the reigning 400m Big Ten indoor champion after he recorded a result of 45.62 at last year’s conference championships, a school record. For his efforts, the Big Ten named Brown Track Athlete of the Year, Rookie of the Year and Track Athlete of the Championships.
Brown against the B1G
1. Izaiah Brown (Rutgers): 45.67
2. Mar’yea Harris (Iowa): 46.39
3. Taylor McLaughlin (Michigan): 47.02
4. Kinard Rolle (Purdue): 47.14
5. Ryan Davis (Wisconsin): 47:19
Brown against the Nation
1. Fred Kerley (Texas A&M): 45.02
2. Izaiah Brown (Rutgers): 45.67
3. Michael Cherry (LSU): 45:84
4. Mylik Kerley (Texas A&M): 45.96
5. Kunle Fasasi (Florida): 46.02
Brown against the World
1. Fred Kerley (USA (Clemson)): 45.02
2. Bralon Taplin (Grenada): 45.59
3. Marqueze Washington (USA): 45:63
4. Izaiah Brown (USA (Rutgers)): 45.67
5. Pavel MASLÁK (Czech Republic): 45.80
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/RutgersMensTF/) and Twitter (@Rutgers_MensTF) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and www.ScarletKnights.com.