ORLANDO, Fla. (April 6, 2014) – Behind a 3-for-4, three RBI day by junior Jackie Bates (Lincroft, N.J.) and a complete-game four-hitter by junior left-hander Alyssa Landrith (Vacaville, Calif.), the Rutgers softball team captured a 4-1 win in its series finale against UCF Sunday afternoon at the UCF Softball Complex.
Landrith (10-5) went 7.0 innings and allowed one run on four hits while striking out seven. At the plate, Bates posted her fourth multi-hit and multi-RBI game of the season, hitting a double and a home run in the process.
Sophomore Stephanie Huang (Paramus, N.J.) also had a successful day, going 2-for-3 with a pair of line drive singles to extend her hitting streak to seven games.
A single by Bates with senior Loren Williams (Los Angeles, Calif.) on third base added an RU (17-12, 2-4 American) insurance run in the top of the seventh inning.
Bates knocked in her second run of the game in the top of the sixth, drilling the Mackenzie Audas offering over the left center field wall for her fourth homer of the year. The solo shot gave RU a 3-1 lead.
After a number of opportunities, UCF (27-12, 5-1 American) finally pushed a run across in the bottom of the fifth inning on a sac-fly to center. The score made it a 2-1 game with two innings remaining.
A Bates double in the top of the fourth inning got RU on the board, as the liner to right center allowed Williams to score from second. Two batters later Huang lined one into right field to bring Bates home and make it 2-0 Rutgers against UCF’s Shelby Turnier, who held the RU bats in check in the first game of the series.
Rutgers returns to the RU Softball Complex to cap a home-and-home season series with in-state foe Seton Hall on Wednesday, April 9 at 4 p.m. The Scarlet Knights defeated the Pirates, 12-5, in their first meeting on Tuesday, April 1 in South Orange, N.J., using a seven-run seventh inning to seal the victory.
- RU picked up its first win over UCF in program history. After winning the series, UCF holds a 1-2 all-time edge.
- Huang extended her hitting streak to seven games with a pair of hard hit singles Sunday. She also recorded an RBI in the win.
- Huang’s 2-for-3 day marked her fifth multi-hit game of the season.
- Williams tied her career high with two steals against the Knights. She has gone 2-for-2 on the base paths four times in her career and now has 12 stolen bases this season.
- Landrith recorded her 10th win of the year against the Knights, giving her three consecutive seasons with double-digit victories.
- With 28 RBIs, Bates is seven RBIs shy of tying her career mark of 35 set last season in nearly double the time.
- Bates leads the Scarlet Knights with 13 doubles and a .689 slugging percentage.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers softball, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoftball) and Instagram (@RU_Softball). The team is also on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersSB). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.