FAIRFAX, Va. (March 3, 2013) – The Rutgers softball team scored 15 runs en route to two consecutive wins to close out the Patriot Classic Sunday at the George Mason Softball Complex.RU bested Cornell, 9-1, Sunday morning before beating host-school George Mason, 7-2, to close out the weekend.
The Scarlet Knights (6-4) enjoyed plenty of success from the plate in the tournament, notching seven hits or more and scoring seven runs or more in four of the five contests.
Sophomore Alyssa Landrith (Vacaville, Calif.) threw two complete games Sunday, recording her third and fourth wins of the season against George Mason and Cornell. She allowed two runs off seven hits and struck out a season-high eight batters against George Mason.
RU broke the game open in the top of the third inning, when sophomore Chandler Howard (Wilmington, Del.) blasted a three-RBI double to give the Scarlet Knights a 3-0 lead. Rutgers would record two more runs in the sixth inning and one more in the seventh before Landrith struck out two of the game’s final three hitters to earn the win.
Senior Ashley Bragg (Middletown, Del.) went 3-3 with one run and one RBI in the win, tying her career-high hits mark.
The Scarlet Knights began the day by picking up a victory over Cornell in the first ever meeting between the two schools. Sophomore outfielder Jackie Bates (Lincroft, N.J.) maintained the hot bat against the Big Red, hitting her second home run in three games in a two RBI, 2-3 effort. Junior Loren Williams (Los Angeles, Calif.) (3-5), Howard (1-3) and senior Alexis Durando (Oaklan d, N.J.) (2-3) all notched two RBIs in the victory, as well.
A Howard double in the second inning plated Bragg and Durando to give RU a 2-0 lead. Three innings later, Durando recorded RU’s first triple of the season, scoring two more runs and giving the squad a 4-0 edge.
Cornell tacked on a run in the bottom of the fifth, but a four-run explosion on the top of the seventh sealed the victory for the Scarlet Knights. Williams notched a two-run single, while Bates hit a two run shot – her second homer in three games – to guide RU to the 9-1 win.
Landrith threw for her fourth complete game of the season, allowing four hits and one run. She leads the team with a 4-2 record and 1.18 ERA.
The Scarlet Knights travel to San Luis Obispo, Calif., next weekend to compete in the Mustang Classic, hosted by Cal Poly.
- Bates recorder her second home run of the tournament against the Big Red, bumping her RBI total to nine this season.
- Howard notched a season-high three RBIs against GMU.
- Williams went 3-5 against Cornell, marking the second time this season she has earned three hits in a game. She leads the team with a .429 batting average.
- With the win over George Mason, RU is now 6-1 all-time against the Patriots.
- RU leads Cornell, 1-0, all-time after winning in the first ever meeting between the two schools.
- Durando’s triple against Cornell was the first for any Scarlet Knight this season.
- Bragg went 5-7 Sunday with three runs and one RBI, bumping her batting average to .370.
- Freshman Jordan Whitley (Clayton, Del.) posted a career game against Cornell, going 1-2 with one run and one RBI.
- The Scarlet Knights drew a season-high seven walks against the Big Red.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers softball, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoftball). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.