CINCINNATI, Ohio (September 27, 2013) – The Rutgers women’s soccer team opened its American Athletic Conference schedule with a 1-0 victory Friday night at Gettler Stadium. Redshirt senior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, Canada) scored the game-winner – the 16th for her career – in the 42nd minute to lead RU (8-1-1, 1-0) to victory.
Filigno now owns the most game-winning goals in RU history, surpassing former greats Carli Lloyd and Kris Kurzynowski with the cap.
With the victory, RU is now unbeaten in its last five matches (4-0-1). Redshirt senior Jess Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) improved to 8-1-1 on the season with the shutout effort, lowering her goals against average (GAA) and save percentage to 0.94 and .727, respectively. She made one save in the win.
The Scarlet Knights took a 1-0 lead into halftime courtesy of a goal in the 42nd minute by Filigno. It was Filigno’s first goal in three games and her fifth on the season. The goal was scored on a scramble near the far post, as Filigno struck in the rebound to give RU its third halftime lead of the season.
Junior Stef Scholz (South Hackensack, N.J.) tallied the assist on the goal – her first of the season. The scoring play tied Scholz (6g, 1a) and Filigno (5g,3a) in points this season (13).
The Scarlet Knights improved to 5-0-1 in their last six matches against the Bearcats (4-7, 0-1) and won their eighth game this season (8-0-1) when outshooting the opposition. RU outshot Cincinnati, 13-8, in the match.
RU continues its conference-opening weekend Sunday, when the squad battles Louisville. The Cardinals (5-3-1, 1-0) won their first conference match, 3-2, in overtime fashion Friday night against Memphis (7-3, 0-1).
The Scarlet Knights won the most recent meeting between the two schools, 3-0, last season at Yurcak Field. Filigno played a part in all three RU scores, notching two goals and tallying an assist.
- Scholz’s assist was her first this season and second of her career. Her first assist came in her rookie season in a RU’s 4-1 win over Fordham on Aug. 29, 2011.
- With the game-winning goal, Filigno now sits alone atop the all-time list with 16 for her career.
- The Scarlet Knights took a 1-0 lead into the halftime locker rooms before taking the victory. RU is now 28-1 since 2008 when leading at the half.
- Rutgers is unbeaten when outshooting opponents this season, improving to 8-0-1 with Friday night’s victory.
- RU won its conference opener for the fourth time in the past five seasons.
- Nine of the Scarlet Knights 21 goals this season have been scored in the final 15 minutes of the first half.
- Four Scarlet Knights logged the full 90 minutes Friday night – Redshirt senior Tricia DiPaolo (Sparta, N.J.), and sophomores Hayley Katkowski (Westford, Mass.), Brianne Reed (Tinton Falls, N.J.) and Erica Skroski (Galloway, N.J.).
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers women’s soccer, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoccer) and Instagram (@RUWomenssoccer). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.