PISCATAWAY, N.J. (September 21, 2012) – Redshirt junior forward Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada) sank her third penalty kick of the season with 1:49 to play in the second overtime, lifting Rutgers women’s soccer over USF, 1-0, Friday night at Yurcak Field.
The Scarlet Knights (8-3, 1-2) secure their first BIG EAST win of the season, while the Bulls fall to 4-4-1, 0-1-1. Rutgers was able to dominate the run of play in the second period and both overtimes, outshooting the University of South Florida by an 11-0 margin.
A takedown of freshman Rachel Cole (Teaneck, N.J.) in the box with 1:49 remaining in the contest resulted in a penalty kick opportunity for Filigno, who buried the shot in the bottom right of the net. The score was Filigno’s ninth of the season and fifth game winner.
The score moves Filigno into a tie for second all-time in the RU annals with five game-winning goals this season. She ranks No. 4 with 10 career game winners.
The Scarlet Knights nearly broke through in the 106th minute, as Cole flicked the ball back to a cutting Amanda DeVolk (Frisco, Texas) in the box. The redshirt freshman forward blasted a shot towards Christiane Endler, but the USF goalkeeper was able to make the diving save.
Redshirt junior Jessica Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) preserved the shutout with a flurry of shots at the 12-minute mark. Jackie Simpson sent the ball into the box from 18 yards out, where Janosz made a diving save to her right. USF’s Marsha Harper was there from the rebound, but Janosz was able to kick save it and a RU defender blocked a third shot in the barrage.
In the 10th minute, DeVolk nearly connected after a serve on the run from Filigno. DeVolk sent the shot just high on the breakaway.
Janosz earns her fifth win of the season, stopping a season-high five shots.
Rutgers wraps up its homestand on Sunday, Sept. 23 with No. 21 Marquette. Game time is set for 1 p.m.
* Jonelle Filigno punched in the fifth penalty kick of her career (5-of-5).
* Filigno moves into a tie for No. 2 all-time in single season game winners with five in 2012.
* The forward sits alone in ninth place on the RU all-time career list with 19 goals through three seasons.
* Filigno owns 10 game-winning goals over her career, good for fourth all-time.
* This marks the sixth shutout of the season for RU. The Scarlet Knights match their win total from a season ago.
* Jess Janosz earned her first start of the season, moving to 5-1 in 2012. The keeper made a season-high five saves in the effort.
* Head coach Glenn Crooks used his 11th different starting lineup in 11 matches with 20 players tallying at least one nod.
* Since the start of the 2006 season, RU is 51-13-9 on Yurcak Field.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.