Hanover, N.H. (September 9, 2012) – Behind two late goals from redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada), No. 21 Rutgers women’s soccer (7-1) upended Dartmouth, 2-1, Sunday evening at Burnham Field.
It marked Filigno’s third multi-goal game of the season. The forward now has seven goals through eight games in 2012 and 17 for her career.
The Dartmouth (2-2) goal came in the 57th minute from midfielder Emma Brush, her third of the weekend. After a scramble in the box for the loose ball, Lucielle Kozlov dished to Brush for the score.
Filigno knotted the match at 1-1 in the 61st minute. Freshman midfielder Hayley Katkowski (Westford, Mass.) fed Filigno in the box and the forward buried it in the back of the net.
With just 1:23 remaining in regulation, Filigno found the back of the net for her fourth game winner this season. Charging up the right side of the field, redshirt senior Tricia DiPaolo (Sparta, N.J.) found an open Filigno to give the Scarlet Knights a 2-1 advantage they would relinquish.
Redshirt senior goalkeeper Emmy Simpkins (Concord, N.C.) earned the win for RU, making one save in the effort.
The Scarlet Knights and Big Green went into halftime knotted 0-0. DiPaolo notched the best chance in the 37th minute, but DC goalkeeper Tatiana Saunders was there for the save.
Rutgers opens BIG EAST play next weekend against Villanova and No. 23 Georgetown. The RU-VU match is set for 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14 following the men’s game against Charleston. Sunday’s kickoff is scheduled for noon.
* With two scores, Filigno surpassed her goal total from a season ago. It marked her third multi-goal game of the season.
* The forward has four game-winning goals in 2012. She stands in a tie for sixth all-time at RU in a single season. Carli Lloyd notched six game winners in 2003 for the record.
* For her career, Filigno has scored nine game-winning goals. The forward sits in a tie for fourth. Lloyd has the record with 15.
* The 14 goals scored in nonconference play is five more than a season ago.
* Rutgers moves to 6-0 when the match is knotted 0-0 at the half.
* Hayley Katkowski tallied the first point of her career.
* Tricia DiPaolo tallied her first point since Oct. 24, 2010.
* This marks the best start since 2009, when RU began the year with an 8-1-1 record.
* Through eight games, RU head coach Glenn Crooks has used eight different starting lineups.
* Emmy Simpkins earned the start and the win for RU. The redshirt senior moves to 3-1 on the season.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.