College Station, Texas (August 31, 2012) – The No. 16 Rutgers women’s soccer team (4-1) dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 17 Texas A&M (3-1) Friday night in front of 1,434 fans at Ellis Field. Redshirt freshman Amanda DeVolk (Frisco, Texas) scored in the 23rd minute to give RU an early 1-0 lead, but the Scarlet Knights could not quiet the Aggies’ offensive attack.
DeVolk corralled a failed clear and placed it just under the crossbar for her first career score. From 18 yards out, the redshirt freshman lobbed the ball over goalkeeper Jordan Day’s outstretched arm to put the Scarlet Knights up 1-0.
TAMU forward Kelley Monogue answered for the Aggies just over three minutes later. Monogue collected a blocked shot in front of the net and punched it into the goal.
In the 31st minute, Monogue struck again to give Texas A&M a 2-1 lead going into the half. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Emmy Simpkins (Concord, N.C.) made a brilliant save on a Meghan Streight shot that Monogue rebounded for the score.
TAMU sophomore Allie Bailey scored on a penalty kick in the 50th minute to give the Aggies a 3-1 advantage. Annie Kunz shot from the right of the penalty box to the far side of the netting to account for the final score.
Simpkins made several key saves throughout the first half. The netminder punched out a Monogue laser in the 26th minute and made a diving save on the forward two minutes later.
Freshman Gabby Moreno (Severna Park, Md.) nearly scored for RU in the 59th minute, hitting the crossbar.
Rutgers wraps up the weekend in College Station with Sam Houston State on Sunday, Sept. 2 at 11:30 a.m.
* This is the highest ranked team RU has faced since Sept. 4, 2011 (No. 4 UCLA).
* Through five games, RU head coach Glenn Crooks has used five different starting lineups.
* The four goals allowed marked the most since Sept. 18, 2011, a 4-1 loss to Georgetown.
* Amanda DeVolk scored her first career goal.
* It marked the first time an opponent has scored two goals vs. RU since Monique Gjini (Louisville) on Oct. 11, 2007.
* For the fourth-straight game, Emmy Simpkins earned the start in net for RU. The redshirt senior moves to 0-1 on the season.
* The game was delayed 50 minutes due to lightning.