PISCATAWAY, N.J. (August 26, 2012) – Off to a 4-0 start for the first time since 2007, No. 23 Rutgers women’s soccer edged Siena, 1-0, Sunday afternoon at Yurcak Field. The Scarlet Knights outshot the Saints (0-2) by a 26-1 margin on the afternoon.
“I thought we played quite well,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “We had a little trouble finishing, but we will work on that. Overall, I’m happy that so many people contributed. I’ll take the victory. The own goal happens in soccer when a team is pressuring and pressuring and that is what we were doing.”
The Rutgers score came on an own goal by Siena’s Lisa Valenziano. A Gabby Moreno (Severna Park, Md.) cross made its way into the box, where Valenziano tried to head it away, instead putting it in the net.
Redshirt junior Jessica Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) earned her fourth win of the season, as she and goalkeeper Emmy Simpkins (Concord, N.C.) combined for the shutout.
Redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada) had the best chance for RU in the first half, sending a left-footed shot from the top of the box just wide in the 31st minute. The Scarlet Knights pressured the Saints throughout the first 45 minutes, taking 10 shots while allowing just one.
Rutgers continued to pressure in the second half. A RU goal by freshman midfielder Erica Skroski (Galloway, N.J.) was called back in the 50th minute on an offside call.
Redshirt freshman Amanda DeVolk (Frisco, Texas) had a one-on-one in 57th minute, sending the ball just wide of the frame. Freshman Rachel Cole (Teaneck, N.J.) blasted a shot from 20 yards out in the 58th minute, hitting the cross bar.
Rutgers hits the road next weekend for two games in College Station, Texas. RU will face No. 14 Texas A&M Friday, Aug. 31 at 8 p.m. followed by Sam Houston State Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
* The Scarlet Knights started 4-0 for the first time since 2007. It marked the first four-game win streak since Oct. 11-23, 2009.
* The 26 shots marked the most for RU since Oct. 22, 2010 against Cincinnati (26).
* The one shot allowed marked the lowest for an opponent since Aug. 20, 2010 vs. Stony Brook (one).
*The Scarlet Knights defense held Buckell and Siena without a shot for 81 minutes (from the 34th minute of the Bucknell game to the 19th minute of the SC match).
* RU has outscored opponents 7-1 through four games this season.
* Since the start of the 2006 season, RU is 48-11-8 on Yurcak Field.
* For the fourth-straight game, Emmy Simpkins earned the start in net for RU, while Jessica Janosz got the win. Janosz is now 5-1-1 for her career.