PISCATAWAY, N.J. (August 19, 2012) – Redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada) scored in the 101st minute to lead the Rutgers women’s soccer team to a 1-0 win over RV Ohio State Sunday afternoon at Yurcak Field. RU moves to 2-0 on the year, while OSU falls to 0-2.
“That was a complete team effort,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “We talked about gaining an identity this weekend and, with a couple of wins, I think that is starting to take shape. Part of our identity is we want to control the game through our possession and I think in the second half we started to feel more and more comfortable.”
In the 101st minute, Filigno dribbled across the six-yard box, putting herself horizontal with the net. The forward slid and flicked the ball past OSU goalkeeper Rachel Middleman and into the bottom left of the net. The goal marked the third of the season for Filigno and the second game winner.
Redshirt junior Jessica Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) earned the win for RU, making two saves. For the game, RU outshot OSU by an 18-13 margin.
Redshirt senior Shannon Woeller (Vancouver, Canada) had the best opportunity for RU in the first half. After a corner kick, the center back blasted a shot from 18 yards out that Middleman dove to save.
The Scarlet Knights came on strong in the second half, keeping possession and outshooting the Buckeyes 10-4. Filigno had a breakaway with 49 seconds remaining in regulation, but was brought down by OSU netminder Jillian McVicker outside the 18-yard box. McVicker was issued a red card and ejected from the match.
Rutgers will be back on Yurcak Field Friday, Aug. 24 to take on Bucknell. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. and will be a doubleheader as the men’s team takes on Fordham.
* Amanda DeVolk earned her first collegiate start.
* Since the start of the 2006 season, RU is 47-11-8 on Yurcak Field.
* Filigno now has 13 career goals and three this season. It marked her seventh game winner. The forward moves into a tie for seventh all-time on the RU career list for game-winning goals.
* For the second-straight game, Emmy Simpkins earned the start in net for RU, while Jessica Janosz got the win. Janosz is now 3-1-1 for her career.
* RU has played 191 minutes of shutout soccer, the most since Oct. 7-9, 2011. RU last started the year with two shutouts in 2009 (UMBC and Fordham).
* When going into overtime since 2008, Rutgers owns an 8-3-10 record.
* Rutgers moves to 2-0 all-time against Ohio State, both 1-0 victories.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.