PISCATAWAY, N.J. (August 17, 2012) – Rutgers women’s soccer posted its 300th win in program history with a 3-0 decision at Monmouth Friday night. Redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada) tallied two scores for RU, including the sixth game winner of her career on a penalty kick at The Great Lawn.
Filigno was taken down in the box in the 51st minute, prompting a yellow card for Monmouth’s Nicole Close and a penalty kick. The forward buried the shot into the bottom left of the net to give RU a 1-0 advantage with 38:37 to play.
Filigno added an insurance goal in the 84th minute on a low cross from junior Maria Gerew (Toms River, N.J.). Filigno flicked the ball into the bottom of the net to give RU a 2-0 lead. It marked the second multi-goal game for the junior.
Redshirt senior Shannon Woeller (Vancouver, Canada) scored with 39 seconds remaining after sophomore Cassie Inacio (Manalapan, N.J.) was fouled in the box. MU goalkeeper Jocelyn McCoy saved the center back’s attempt, but Woeller was able to sink the rebound.
Redshirt junior Jessica Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) made a leaping save to preserve the shutout in the 62nd minute. Monmouth’s Jennie Vartebdian headed a corner towards the goal, but Janosz blocked the shot and redshirt senior Tricia DiPaolo (Sparta, N.J.) cleared it off the line.
Filigno nearly broke through in the 21st minute, heading a Amy Pietrangelo (Laval, Quebec, Canada) cross just high of the net. Pietrangelo had a clear shot from the top of the box to start the second half, but the MU netminder was able to make the save.
Rutgers kicks off the home slate Sunday, Aug. 19 vs. Ohio State. Game time is set for 1 p.m. and will be streamed live on RVision, presented by AT&T.
* Rutgers opened its 29th season of competition with its 300th win in program history.
* It marked the first time since 2006 that RU started the season on the road.
* Four Scarlet Knights earned their first collegiate starts: Rachel Cole, Hayley Katkowski, Gabby Moreno and Erica Skroski.
* Sara Corson, Amanda DeVolk, Maggie Morash and Brianne Reed all saw their first action in a Rutgers uniform.
* Rutgers moves to 14-2-1 all-time against Monmouth.
* The penalty kick was the third of Filigno’s career. The junior is 3-of-3 on PKs.
* It marked the first career score for Shannon Woeller.
* The assist was the first of Maria Gerew’s career.
* Filigno now has 12 career goals. It marked her sixth game winner and second career multi-goal game.
* Emmy Simpkins earned the start in net for RU, while Jessica Janosz earned the win for RU.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.