PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 31, 2013) – The Rutgers men’s soccer team closes out the 2013 regular season on Saturday night at UCF at 7 p.m. vying for as high as the No. 5 seed at the upcoming American Athletic Conference (AAC) championships.
* The Scarlet Knights enter Saturday’s contest looking to snap five-game winless streak. RU heads into the regular season finale at 5-9-2 overall and 2-4-1 in conference play.
* Looking at seeding for the upcoming American Championships, depending on the outcome of Saturday’s contest at UCF, the Scarlet Knights can finish as high as a No. 5 seed and no lower than a No. 8 seed. Should the Scarlet Knights finish between a No. 5 and a No. 7 seed, RU will open post-season conference play on the opponent’s home turf in quarterfinal action on Saturday, Nov. 9. With a loss to UCF, the Scarlet Knights will take the No. 8 seed and play No. 9-seeded Cincinnati on Friday, Nov. 8 in the play-in game at No. 1 seed Louisville with the winner advancing to face the Cardinals the following day.
* Rutgers enjoyed its bye weekend last week, but that Scarlet Knights were in action at “Kick It Up for Autism” helping to raise $10,000 for Parents of Autistic Children (POAC). Click here to read more on RU’s volunteer efforts.
* Sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz continues to lead the Scarlet Knights with 15 points (5G, 5A) followed by senior forward Kene Eze with 10 points (4G, 2A). In all, 11 Scarlet Knights have logged points on the season.
* In goal, two-time AAC Goalkeeper of the Week David Greczek is posting a 1.23 goals against average and .794 save percentage. Greczek has 77 saves and four shutouts on the season.
75 YEARS OF RUTGERS MEN’S SOCCER
Click here to see the 14-member Rutgers Men’s Soccer 75th Anniversary Team. Thanks to all our fans for voting for the team throughout the season.
LALAS BACK “ON THE BANKS”
Alexi Lalas, one of the greats of RU men’s soccer, who was honored on the 75th Anniversary Team, will be at the RAC on Nov. 14th when the Rutgers men’s basketball team hosts Yale. Lalas will be on hand with fellow RU women’s soccer great Carli Lloyd for autograph night between 6:15 – 7:15 p.m.
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
UCF enters Saturday’s match at 6-4-5 overall, 3-1-3 in the American and unbeaten in its last seven contests. The Knights are coming off a 2-2 double overtime tie with Temple last Sunday and a 1-0 victory at USF last Wednesday.
The Knights are led by sophomore forward Romario Williams with 18 points (8G, 2A). Williams is second in the AAC in points, one point shy of league leader Ricardo Velazco of Louisville and leads the conference with eight goals netted. Next on the stat sheet are senior midfielder Omar Vallejo with 12 points (5G, 2A) and freshman midfielder Fernando Laverde with 10 points (3G, 4A). Vallejo is tied along with Scarlet Knight Mael Corboz for seventh in goals.
In net, redshirt junior Sebastian Evers has allowed just seven goals in his 10 appearances with a league-leading 0.62 goals against average, .833 save percentage and five shutouts. Zach Biggs has seen action in five contests with a 1.60 goals against average and .600 save percentage.
Saturday will be the first meeting between Rutgers and UCF.
A LOOK AT CONFERENCE STATS
As a team, the Scarlet Knights are sixth in the American goals (16) and tied for sixth in points (44).
Individually, sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz is sixth in points (15), in a three-way tie for the seventh in goals (5) and sixth in assists (5).
Freshman goalkeeper David Greczek leads all AAC netminders with 77 saves, averaging 4.81 per game. He has also logged four shutouts this season.
ON THE ROAD
Rutgers is 1-3-1 away from the friendly confines of Yurcak field, including a 1-2 mark in AAC action. RU garnered a 1-0 win over then-No. 19 Memphis back on Sept. 28.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersMensSoccer) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUMensSoccer) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.