PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 1, 2013) – The Rutgers men’s soccer team returns home to Yurcak Field to host Hofstra in non-conference action on Wednesday, Oct. 2nd at 7:00 p.m.
* Wednesday’s game will air on Rutgers’ student station WRSU 88.7 FM.
* Rutgers has two games at home on the slate this week. Along with Hofstra on Wednesday, the Scarlet Knights return to AAC action on Saturday night against Cincinnati.
* Freshman midfielder Erik Sa was named the AAC Offensive Player of the Week. Sa lifted RU to a 1-0 victory on Saturday night against Memphis with his first collegiate goal, netting the game-winner in the 72nd minute of play off one of three Scarlet Knight corner kicks on the evening.
* Sa’s tally ended a 274 minute scoring drought and two-game skid for the Scarlet Knights. The victory also gave Rutgers its first victory away from the friendly confines of Yurcak Field this season.
* Rookie goalkeeper David Greczek was named to the AAC Honor Roll. He made three saves against Memphis in capturing his second career shutout.
* Last Saturday’s win over then-No.19 Memphis was the first over a ranked team for RU since advancing to the Round of 16 in the 2011 NCAA Tournament on penalty kicks against No. 8 Boston College.
* The shutout over the Tigers was the second for RU this season having also captured a 3-0 win over South Carolina.
Rutgers leads the all-time series with Hofstra, 13-4. The Scarlet Knights have won the last four meetings, but it will be the first meeting between the two teams since 1976.
SCOUTING THE PRIDE
Hofstra comes to Yurcak Field sporting a 4-3-1 overall mark. The Pride has won their last two contests – a 2-1 victory against Monmouth and 1-0 shutout of New Hampshire – and are winners in three of their last four games. Hofstra has already been in three double overtime contests this fall going 2-0-1, including a 2-1 victory against then-No. 25 Brown.
Junior midfielder Maid Memic leads Hofstra with nine points (4G, 1A), including two game-winners, followed by senior midfielder Chris Griebsch with seven points (2G, 3A). Both were Preseason All-Colonial Athletic Association members.
In net, senior Roberto Pellegrini has made 24 saves through eight games and is posting a 1.64 goals against average and .667 save percentage. Sophomore Patric Pray has also seen time in goal in two games, including playing all 90 minutes of last Saturday’s 1-0 shutout of New Hampshire, making three saves in the win.
Last season, the Pride went 11-6-4 overall and advanced to the CAA Championship game. They return 11 letterwinners from last year’s team and were picked to finish fourth in the CAA in the preseason poll.
Rutgers is 3-2-0 at home this season. Since Dan Donigan took over the program in 2010 the Scarlet Knights have gone 20-11-1 at the friendly confines of Yurcak Field. RU has won ten of its last 13 games at home.
Rutgers is currently 3-3-1 in non-conference contests having won their last two home games against non-AAC teams with a 3-0 shutout of South Carolina and a 3-2 win over in-state rival Princeton.
A LOOK AT CONFERENCE STATS
As a team, the Scarlet Knights are second in the American goals (14) and third in points (37).
Individually, sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz leads the league in points (13), tied for the conference lead in goals (5) and in a three-way tie for fourth in assists (4). Meanwhile senior forward Kene Eze, despite missing the last three games, is tied for third in points (7) and goals (3). Freshman goalkeeper David Greczek leads the league with 39 saves, averaging 4.33 per game.
CALLING ALL ALUMNI
The Scarlet Knights are asking their alumni to help join the team in celebrating 75 years of Rutgers Men’s Soccer. Come out and see old teammates, coaches and friends and then cheer on the Scarlet Knights as they take on the Cincinnati Bearcats on Saturday, Oct. 5. A pre-game reception will be held at the Audi Club at High Point Solutions Stadium prior to the game.
Please RSVP by Oct. 1 to email@example.com.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersMensSoccer) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUMensSoccer) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.