PISCATAWAY, N.J. (September 18, 2013) – The Rutgers men’s soccer team opens up American Athletic Conference (AAC) play on Friday night when they host the SMU Mustangs at 8 p.m. at Yurcak Field.
* Friday's game with SMU can be viewing live on RVision presented by AT&T at ScarletKnights.com. Danny Breslauer and Lou Brogno will be on the call.
* The Rutgers men’s soccer team went 2-0 last week. The Scarlet Knights put together back-to-back victories last week with a 3-2 win over in-state rival Princeton and a 3-0 shutout against South Carolina.
* RU is led by sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz (5G, 2A) and followed by senior forward Kene Eze (4G, 2A).
* In goal, freshman keeper David Greczek is posting a 1.25 goals against average, .784 save percentage and has totaled 29 saves on the year.
* Sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz and freshman goalkeeper David Greczek both picked up weekly honors for their performances last week. Corboz was named the AAC Offensive Player of the Week, as well as Top Draw Soccer and NSCAA Player of the Week. The second year Scarlet Knight was also named to College Soccer News’ National Team of the Week. Greczek was named the AAC’s Goalkeeper of the Week.
CALLING ALL ALUMNI
The Scarlet Knights are asking their alumni to help join the team in celebrating 75 years of Rutgers Men’s Soccer. Come out and see old teammates, coaches and friends and then cheer on the Scarlet Knights as they take on the Cincinnati Bearcats on Saturday, Oct. 5. A pre-game reception will be held at the Audi Club at High Point Solutions Stadium prior to the game.
Please RSVP by Oct. 1 to email@example.com.
While this will be the fourth meeting between the Scarlet Knights and Mustangs, with SMU leading the all-time series 2-1, Friday’s game will mark the first and only time as conference opponents.
Both Rutgers and SMU will be opening American Athletic Conference play on Friday. The Mustangs, who were picked just above the Scarlet Knights in the Preseason Poll at No. 4, come to Yurcak Field with a 1-5 overall mark.
The Mustangs dropped their first four games of the season, including 2-1 setbacks to both top-ranked Indiana and No. 7 Notre Dame. After earning a 2-1 victory over Hartwick last Friday for their first win of the season, SMU was shutout by UMKC, 0-1, on Sunday.
Sophomore forward Alfred Koroma leads the Mustangs with a pair of goals on 19 shots, including 12 on goal. Sophomore defender Brenden Lee and junior midfielder Andrew Morales have both recorded goals on the year, while rookie defenseman Deshawon Nembhard leads the squad in assists with two.
In goal, senior Jaime Ibarra has played every minute of all six contests and is posting a 1.33 goals against average and .600 save percentage.
Last season, SMU won the Conference USA regular season title with head coach Tim Clements named Coach of the Year and Ibarra named Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. Entering post-season play a year ago, the Mustangs had only allowed six goals.
After earning the regular season conference titles, SMU fell to the Tulsa in the C-USA Tournament and lost to Winthrop in first round NCAA Tournament action on penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie following two overtimes. The Mustangs finished at 10-5-5 overall in 2012.
Rutgers is 3-1-0 at home this season. Since Dan Donigan took over the program in 2010 the Scarlet Knights have gone 20-10-1 at the friendly confines of Yurcak Field. RU has won ten of its last 12 games at home.
A LOOK AT CONFERENCE STATS
As a team, the Scarlet Knights currently lead the American in points (24) and goals (10). Individually, sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz leads the league in points (8) and ranks second in goals (4), while senior forward Kene Eze ranks third in points (7) and goals (3). Freshman goalkeeper David Greczek leads the league with 29 saves, averaging 4.38 per game.
The Scarlet Knights posted a 9-7-2 mark in BIG EAST conference openers having played the last 18 years in the league prior to joining the American this season.
Under head coach Dan Donigan, Rutgers is 1-2-0 in conference openers.
(www.facebook.com/RutgersMensSoccer) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUMensSoccer) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.