PISCATAWAY, N.J. (April 2, 2014) – With the help of a 5-1 run in the final quarter, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team handed St. John’s its first BIG EAST loss of the season, downing the Red Storm 16-13 in High Point Solutions Stadium Wednesday night. Five Scarlet Knights posted multi-goal games, while freshman A Christian Trasolini (New Hyde Park. N.Y) scored four goals and tallied one assist and sophomore A Scott Bieda (Bridgewater, N.J.) totaled six points (three goals, three assists).
The Scarlet Knights improved to 7-4 (2-2 BIG EAST), while the Red Storm moved to 6-4 (2-1 BIG EAST). Rutgers outshot St. John’s, 54-33, and collected 40 ground balls to 20 by the Red Storm. Defensively for Rutgers, D Branford Rogers (Ruckersville, Va.) caused four turnovers and GK Jake Andersen (Flemington, N.J.) made seven saves in his first career start.
The Scarlet Knights came out of the gates hot, scoring five of the first six goals, including two by junior M Nick DePaolera (Kinnelon, N.J.) to jump out to a 5-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.
The Red Storm scored five of the seven goals in the second quarter, cutting RU’s lead to 7-6 at the half.
Coming out of the break. Rutgers scored the first two goals, coming from Trasolini and senior M Anthony Terranova (Flemington, N.J.), the second of the game for each of them, and led 9-6 with 13:18 to go in the third quarter.
St. John’s answered and scored six of the next eight goals to take a 12-11 lead at the end of the period.
Rutgers responded in a big way, closing the game on a 5-1 run, which included two goals by Trasolini, one by Terranova and three assists and one goal from Bieda to secure the 16-13 victory.
The Scarlet Knights are back in action on the road, taking on No. 17 Princeton in Princeton, N.J., on Saturday at 7 p.m.
- The 145 goals for RU through the first 11 games of the season are the most for the squad through the first 11 contests since the 1998 team posted 158.
- Rutgers has scored in double-figures in each of its last six games, the longest streak since the 1998 team did it in eight straight games.
- RU is off to its best start (7-4) since the 2004 team started 8-3.
- Rutgers defeated St. John’s for the first time since a 14-10 victory on March 28, 2009.
- RU totaled 50-plus shots for the second time this season. It also hit 50 vs. Monmouth on March 8.
- The Scarlet Knights posted 40-plus ground balls for the fourth time this season.
- Scott Bieda set a new career-high with six points. His previous best was five, which he did at Denver on March 22, 2014.
- Bieda tied his career high in goals (three) and assists (three).
- Branford Rogers caused a career-high four turnovers, the most for an RU player this season. His previous best was two, which he did twice, most recently vs. Richmond on March 17, 2014.
- Christian Trasolini tied his career high with four goals. He also did it at Denver on March 22, 2014.
- Jake Andersen made his first career start in goal for the Scarlet Knights.
- Seven different Scarlet Knights posted a goal, while five scored multiple times.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers men’s lacrosse, follow the program and Brecht on Twitter (@RUMLax and @RUlaxCoach) and Facebook. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.