PISCATAWAY, N.J. (March 29, 2014) – Despite a late-game surge, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team (6-4, 1-2 BIG EAST) dropped a 14-13 contest to Marquette (3-6, 1-1 BIG EAST) at High Point Solutions Stadium Saturday. Redshirt senior A Scott Klimchak (Clark, N.J.) scored a team-high four goals and sophomore A Scott Bieda (Bridgewater, N.J.) posted five points on three goals and two assists.
The Scarlet Knights outshot the Golden Eagles, 41-33, and held a 27-to-25 advantage in ground balls. Sophomore GK Kris Alleyne (New City, N.Y.) posted 10 saves, while junior FO Joe Nardella (Cazenovia, N.Y.) won 18-of-30 face-off attempts. Nardella also scooped a team-high nine ground balls. Tyler Melnyk led Marquette with eight points on five goals and three assists.
Marquette posted the first three goals, before RU cut the lead to 3-2 with a goal from Bieda and a man-up score from freshman A Christian Trasolini (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) to end the first quarter.
The Golden Eagles notched the first goal of the second period to take a 4-2 lead. The Scarlet Knights responded, tallying the next two, including one by redshirt senior M Anthony Terranova (Flemington, N.J.) and one by Klimchak, assisted by Terranova, to knot the game at 4-4. Marquette scored the final goal of the half with 1:55 remaining to take a 5-4 lead at the midpoint.
Coming out of the break, Marquette scored five of the next seven goals, extending to 13:56 in the fourth quarter, taking a 10-6 lead.
RU then went on a tear, recording the next five goals, with the last score in the run coming with 6:17 on the clock. In that span, Klimchak scored two goals and Bieda found the back of the cage twice as RU took its first lead of the game, 11-10.
Marquette worked to post the next three goals and led 13-11 with 1:28 to go. Rutgers fought back, knotting the game at 13-13 with 47 seconds to go with scores from Terranova and Trasolini, but with just 16 seconds left, Marquette’s Conor Gately earned the game-winning goal to secure the win for the Golden Eagles.
Rutgers is back in action at High Point Solutions Stadium on Wednesday, April 2, hosting St. John’s at 7 p.m.
- The 129 goals for RU through the first 10 games of the season are the most for the squad through the first 10 contests since the 1998 team posted 149.
- Scott Klimchak posted four goals, his seventh three-plus goal game this season.
- Klimchak moved into sixth on RU’s all-time goals list with 115. He is currently 13 behind fifth place, held by Ryan O’Shea (1992-95), who totaled 128.
- Scott Bieda tied his career-high with five points (three goals, two assists). He also did it at Denver on March 22, 2014.
- Bieda tied his career-high with three goals. He has done it two other times, most recently at Denver on March 22, 2014.
- Senior D Andrew Parrilla (Wyckoff, N.J.) caused a season-high two turnovers.
- Joe Nardella tied his season-high with 18 face-off wins. It’s the fourth time this season he hit that mark.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers men’s lacrosse, follow the program and Brecht on Twitter (@RUMLax and @RUlaxCoach) and Facebook. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.