PISCATAWAY, N.J. (March 17, 2014) – Behind a dominant 18-of-18 performance at the faceoff “X” by junior FO Joe Nardella (Cazenovia, N.Y.), the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team defeated Richmond, 10-7, at High Point Solutions Stadium on Monday afternoon. Redshirt senior A Scott Klimchak (Clark, N.J.) added four goals and one assist to pace RU on the offensive end.
The Scarlet Knights improved to 6-2 on the season, while the Spiders fell to 1-7. Rutgers held a 46 to 30 advantage in shots and a 42 to 24 edge in ground balls. Nardella scooped 16 ground balls, one shy of his career high, while sophomore GK Kris Alleyne (New City, N.Y.) made 15 saves.
Rutgers held a 4-0 advantage after the first quarter, which included two goals and one assist by Klimchak. Richmond responded, scoring three of the four goals in the second quarter to cut RU’s lead to 5-3 at the break.
The Scarlet Knights came out hot in the second half, with three straight goals coming from junior M Brian Goss (Arlington Heights, Ill.), his second of the game, Nardella and redshirt senior Anthony Terranova (Flemington, N.J.) to push the lead to 8-3 with 13:16 to go in the third quarter.
The Spiders scored the next two, before Klimchak tallied back-to-back scores, one assisted by sophomore A Scott Bieda (Bridgewater, N.J.) who had one goal and two assists, to give RU a 10-5 lead with 13:18 to remaining in the game. Richmond posted the final two goals, but it wouldn’t be enough as Rutgers held on to secure the win.
The Scarlet Knights are back in action on Saturday, March 22, taking on Denver in Denver, Colo., at 3 p.m. ET.
- Rutgers collected a season-high 42 ground balls, its most since scooping 44 at St. John’s on March 16, 2013.
- The 105 goals for RU in the first eight games of the season are the most for the squad through the first eight games of the season since the 1998 team posted 115 through eight contests.
- Junior Joe Nardella put together the fifth-best 1.000 percent face-off performance in NCAA Division I history and the best all-time in the BIG EAST.
- Nardella tied his season-high for most face-off wins in a game. He also did it vs. Manhattan (Feb. 8) and at Wagner (Feb. 18).
- Redshirt senior Scott Klimchak posted four goals, his 12th four-plus goal game of his career.
- Senior M Steve DiGiovanni (Cranford, N.J.) posted a career-high two caused turnovers. His previous beste was one at Villanova on April 6, 2013.
- Five Scarlet Knights posted multi-point games: Klimchak-5, Bieda-3, senior Nick DePaolera (Kinnelon, N.J.)-3, Goss-2, Terranova-2.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers men’s lacrosse, follow the program and Brecht on Twitter (@RUMLax and @RUlaxCoach) and Facebook. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.