PISCATAWAY, N.J. (March 8, 2014) – Behind seven points from freshman A Connor Murphy (Clifton, Va.), the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team won in dominating fashion over Monmouth, 20-4, in High Point Solutions Stadium on Saturday night. Murphy posted four goals and three assists in his first career start, while 16 Scarlet Knights scored at least one goal.
Rutgers improved to 4-2, while Monmouth fell to 0-4. The Scarlet Knights outshot the Hawks, 55 to 26, and collected 14 more ground balls (41-27). RU dominated at the faceoff “X,” winning 20 of 27 attempts.
Redshirt senior M Anthony Terranova (Flemington, N.J.) totaled five points on one goal and a career-high four assists. Junior FO Joe Nardella (Cazenovia, N.Y.) won 11 of 12 face-offs.
The Scarlet Knights started the game on an 8-0 run extending to a goal at 12:24 in the second quarter, which included two goals and two assists by Murphy, as well as two assists from Terranova.
After a Monmouth goal at the 11:56 mark in the second, RU went on a streak of nine-straight goals to take a 17-1 lead, extending to 3:14 on the clock in the third quarter. That run saw two more goals and one assist from Murphy, as well as two more assists and one goal from Terranova.
The Hawks scored two-straight, before RU closed on a 3-1 run in the final 12:04 of the game for the victory.
The Scarlet Knights are back in action for their first BIG EAST matchup at Providence in Providence, R.I., on Saturday, March 15 at 1 p.m.
- The 55 shots for the Scarlet Knights were the most since the squad recorded 55 at Wagner on Feb. 21, 2010.
- The 83 goals for RU in the first six games of the season are the most for the squad through the first six games of the season since the 1998 team posted 86 through six contests.
- The four goals allowed by the Scarlet Knights were the fewest since letting up just one in an 11-1 victory at St. Joseph’s on March 5, 2011.
- Rutgers tied its season high in goals (20) and ground balls (41).
- Connor Murphy posted a career-high seven points in his first career start. His previous high was three (all goals) at Wagner on Feb. 18.
- Murphy had a career high four goals. His previous high was three at Wagner on Feb. 18.
- Murphy had a career high three assists. His previous high was one, which he did twice.
- Murphy’s seven points were the most for a Scarlet Knight since Scott Klimchak posted seven against Wagner on Feb. 18, 2011.
- Murphy and freshman D Chris Groel (Los Angeles, Calif.) each tallied a career-high three ground balls.
- Anthony Terranova tied his career-high with five points. He also did it at Syracuse on March 13, 2013.
- Terranova recorded a career-high four assists. His previous best was two, which he did twice.
- Senior M Benjamin Schwing (Medford, N.J.) tied his career high with two goals. He also did it vs. Stony Brook on March 2, 2013.
- Senior D Nick Contino (Branchburg, N.J.) scored his first career goal.
- Freshman M Alex Hatzopoulos (Oyster Bay Cove, N.Y.) recorded his first career goal.
- Senior A Nick DePaolera (Kinnelon, N.J.) and sophomore A Ryan Hollingsworth (Martinsville, N.J.) each posted two points on one goal and one assist apiece.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers men’s lacrosse, follow the program and Brecht on Twitter (@RUMLax and @RUlaxCoach) and Facebook. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.